• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers saturated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hehe, sounds like me....

I tell my girlfriend I have to "tuck the kids in bed" and I run off
to check all my machines before I go to sleep.

It's especially important for me to check on them all at least
twice a day, because I just built them all this week, and I have
no idea how stable they are.

So far, 48 hours without a single reboot, crash, or general
hiccup.

I now understand your anger, hallen.....if you are moving that volumen of WU in one day thrue a dial-up :mad:

You should try to use one of the SETIQues servers, as they have a dedicated connection and can try for several hour to send your results to berkeley.

With a cable connection and running 24/7 I've been able to get through it to this point, however I had limited success uploading last night. I'm sitting on 17WUs now, with another 8 to 10 due by 1:00AM. I'm cacheing with Seti Driver 5 to 15 WUs per machine depending on machine.

I should be allright through tomorrow. We'll see how this plays out in the future, it could have a pretty big impact across the board if the situation doesn't get any better.

I'm considering the Folding team. This is getting rediculous. I backed up so many WUs that SETIQueue started dropping them. I've lost over 20 the past 2 days and had to reinstall it completely this morning. Still have over 20 WUs to transfer from Sunday!

The newly installed one won't download any new WUs (has downloaded 3 in about 5 hours now) so I've got 5 rigs sitting idle just waiting...3 of them are duallies so that's 8 processors doing nothing.

I'm going to give it until the weekend to straighten out and if not...it's been fun.

Jon said:
I'm considering the Folding team. This is getting rediculous. I backed up so many WUs that SETIQueue started dropping them. I've lost over 20 the past 2 days and had to reinstall it completely this morning. Still have over 20 WUs to transfer from Sunday!

The newly installed one won't download any new WUs (has downloaded 3 in about 5 hours now) so I've got 5 rigs sitting idle just waiting...3 of them are duallies so that's 8 processors doing nothing.

I'm going to give it until the weekend to straighten out and if not...it's been fun.

Please reconsider! We'd hate to lose such a high member with such hig power :D

We can't let this bandwidth problem break us up :)

Jon Just keep trying I finally got my 38 backed up wu's to finally go thru after 5-6 hours of manually doing it.. The server seems fine right now uploading/downloading very nicely.. Hope it lasts..

The bandwidth problem will ruin the entire thing if it's not straightened out. If they don't fork over the cash for more lines, it'll always be like it is now (and only get worse) and it won't be worth it, at least not to me.

It's been 6 hours now since I've reinstalled SETIQueue and I'm still only looking at 3 WUs being downloaded. I can finish 10 in he time it's taken to get those 3.

This isn't worth it folks. Berkeley has obviously gave SETI the lowest possible network priority. They could give a rat's a$$ about our complaints. They are abondoning the project.

Hey! Good attitude guys!

Berkley is giving it a low priority so ****'em.

Great. Nice to see you hang in there when the going is a little
tougher.

Nice to see that (and I speak honestly) any day now we could
find something anything.

And worse yet, THIS IS FOR FUN!

I'm sorry, but I do this for the fun of it. And even though I'm
new to this group, I've been around long enough to know how
important SETI is for a core of people who believe "We Are Not
Alone" and "It would be such a waste of space".

Until they shut off the servers, until Arecibo stops listening to
the heavens, I'll still be crunching WUs, even if my 25 WUs a
day are all thats done, I'll still be doing it!

If a little bandwidth issue is enough to break people off the
team, then maybe all that power under your desk is going to
waste no matter what you do with it. I can send you a copy
of Ms. Packman to keep you busy if you like...

Sorry, but quitters just rub me the wrong way.

I think I'm gonna E-mail some students over at Berkley Campus
and see if I can't talk one of them into setting up a Cache Server
for me, even if I have to send him the bloomin machine!!

NOW it looks like everyone feels like I did till the middle of last week...and just when all the boxes were back up again THIS AGAIN

Well I stuck to it and got a few in cache to get me through the next few days but I could easily have 200 more WU's than I have right now considering all the idle time and the 20 or 30 that got dropped the past month or so. My daily production was approaching 15-18 per day...not a ton compared to some guys but a lot to me.

My advice...set your cache to 25 or more on the box you look at daily and dont even look at your other boxes till that box uploads...just my $0.02 b/c my patience is also running short

pcgirl said:

LOL yeah, I'm a bit crazy. :D

Of course, I went back to sleep after I found out that I wasn't able to send any of my WU's to Berkeley!

now this girl is definitely addicted :D

The Folding@home server has experienced similar bandwidth problems in the past (or even worse).....and there seems to be no caching program for Folding@home.....

We just have to be a little bit more patient with all this problems, remember we are doing this for fun, not like some kind of Via Cruxis, so up your caches and keep on crunching.....

BTW, you can't complain if you are not donating $$$$$ to solve this bandwidth problem. Let's see it like this: How much money have you spend in your farm? If you donate to SETI a small amount of money (and we all do it) SETI@home project might be able to buy some more bandwidth.....Stop waitong for someone else to solve the problem and help to solve it yourself :)

Actually FAH has caching now, but it is stupid in my estimation, if you cannot upload the unit it will download a new one, *since the up and downs are handled by different servers. Sometimes it will not upload all the WU's that are sitting there. Great hey ? Just like I still have not found a way to make SETI play nice with FAH even with seti set to low priority.

J

Ok guys, I am utterly lost here.... I thought 1 WU was the deal you get and it loads it, reads it and sends it off... right? How are you guys doing so many a day??? I dont get it... Cant 1 machine do 1 WU at a time? or? And how are you all getting so many WU's cached and all that or whatever? You all are seriouslly loosing me here with all this stuff.... I have 1 machine running seti... it takes between 1-2 days to get the whole thing finished.. and its an 800 Duron with 128PC2100 ram... not a slow machine, but not that fast either... Would someone mind explaining to me WTF??? :D

Thanks
IFMU

IFMU said:
Ok guys, I am utterly lost here.... I thought 1 WU was the deal you get and it loads it, reads it and sends it off... right? How are you guys doing so many a day??? I dont get it... Cant 1 machine do 1 WU at a time? or? And how are you all getting so many WU's cached and all that or whatever? You all are seriouslly loosing me here with all this stuff.... I have 1 machine running seti... it takes between 1-2 days to get the whole thing finished.. and its an 800 Duron with 128PC2100 ram... not a slow machine, but not that fast either... Would someone mind explaining to me WTF??? :D

Thanks
IFMU
We are running the command line client and setispy and seti driver. Seti driver caches WU's for you so you don't have to connect all the time. It does one WU at a time.Here is a link to set up the clc. Only thing is you wont be able to get WU's possibly. With that system your time will drop to 7-8 hours per wu with the clc.

Basher said:
I've worked to hard to quit :)

Sorry for being so down yesterday. I got it out of my system and it helped get me to use SetiQueue.

You are working double hard Basher crunching and producing statistics and everyone here thanks you.

It will get better. As Mictlan says, donating is something that we can do. Hmm I wonder if Berkeley takes PayPal?

Harvey

hallen said:

Sorry for being so down yesterday. I got it out of my system and it helped get me to use SetiQueue.

You are working double hard Basher crunching and producing statistics and everyone here thanks you.

It will get better. As Mictlan says, donating is something that we can do. Hmm I wonder if Berkeley takes PayPal?

Harvey

Glad to see our hottest new crunchers is feeling bwtter :) I've been with seti long enough to know that thesse things will happen. There was a period of a week last year that no results to be sent and no new WU's could be had. After that I set my cache to 1 weeks worth, after this I will set them to 1.5 weeks worth hehe

hallen said:

Harvey

Same thought I had. Maybe we can all get some donations going in this team, pool them and send them as a Team.....We can try a donations jar maybe.....some ideas here?

Mictlan said:

Same thought I had. Maybe we can all get some donations going in this team, pool them and send them as a Team.....We can try a donations jar maybe.....some ideas here?

OK. Got me. 10% tithe on all my upgrades (previous week).

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/donor.html

Actually it should be cost effective. Maybe I can make some money instead of spending all my time clicking "Transmit".

Harvey

edit: Crunch on

Back