• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Service Net is yanking me around.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow that sucks. Are you going to keep pursuing this? I guess service net plans arent worth the money.

Yeah bro, I would not purchase a "LCD" ServiceNet warrenty agreement from newegg.com if I were you.

Yeah, well, I was denied. By service net and then by newegg. The service rep that was sent out by servicenet wrote in his report that I had a verticle line from an open word doc that created burn in & the balck smudges were from my "attempts" to rub it out.

Holy smoking pig mess. I guess none of thier service reps have ever heard of a screen saver? And to top it off, I use Monster Screen Cleaner on my 52" LCD and my beloved 37" Westy along with the replacement 37" Vizio 120Hz. I am not one to miss-treat my goods.

Excuse me, but how did the rep say you tried to rub it out? I hope you didn't tell him that!! Either way, how does that make it your fault it ever appeared?! Don't tell me you dug your own hole...

I would call and call... please don't be weak and give up, Kraig... I mean that nicely. Please... it's BS that these jerks can charge SO MUCH for an extra service and then deny.

Dude, you paid about 25% of the cost of the item... that's NOT FAIR... DO NOT LET THEM WIN!!

I would fight tooth and nail, for principle... hell I'm gonna see if we can get the NewEgg rep in here.

I know NewEgg... they'll probably offer the replacement themselves, and while I'd still take that since it's their 3rd party service, it's not fair to them either...
We used to have a NewEgg rep here... I think his name was Jason. Is he still around?

Excuse me, but how did the rep say you tried to rub it out? I hope you didn't tell him that!! Either way, how does that make it your fault it ever appeared?! Don't tell me you dug your own hole...

I would call and call... please don't be weak and give up, Kraig... I mean that nicely. Please... it's BS that these jerks can charge SO MUCH for an extra service and then deny.

Dude, you paid about 25% of the cost of the item... that's NOT FAIR... DO NOT LET THEM WIN!!

I would fight tooth and nail, for principle... hell I'm gonna see if we can get the NewEgg rep in here.

I know NewEgg... they'll probably offer the replacement themselves, and while I'd still take that since it's their 3rd party service, it's not fair to them either...
We used to have a NewEgg rep here... I think his name was Jason. Is he still around?

As far as I know, its Alex now. The username is Newegg Support. May even be withou the space, but I know they are here.

And as far as I know, unless it was a first generation LCD, it would take days with a static image on the screen to burn an image into it. I leave my Samsung 32" sitting on DVD menu screens for hours at a time, when I forget it's on, and haven't had an issue yet. The 50" Plasma I have in the living room (Samsung as well, the picture on both is outstanding) is a different story. If I pause a game or movie to go out for a smoke, and come back in, the burn in is noticeable, but goes away after a few minutes of having something moving around on the screen. Still, I don't think there should be any burn in on the LCD.

If I were in your shoes, I would do something about it. There has to be some kind of recourse. Usually when a "tech" has an excuse like that, it is because they don't want to do the work. It really boils down to the service man being lazy, and that is something you should not have to put up with from any business.

ServiceNet badgered a local TV repair place to send a technician out to my house to inspect it. He came out and looked it over and said, "I have never seen anything like this before." The black smudges/smears were on the inside of the screen right about in the middle. And the verticle line was from a open word doc but I used it like a normal computer. The technician said, "have you tried to run out the line before?" I said, no, I treat my screens very well and know better than that. He said have you left it on over night? I said, no, I always turn it off. Besides I have a screensaver on my computer for this very reason. He writes down some notes and trhen leaves.

2days later I get a call from ServiceNet saying that the Technician claimed that I left the screen on overnight with a Word doc open and the black smears are from my attempts to rub it out.

WTH!!!??? I called the local TV repair shop and complained and they said thier tech just guessed at what the problem wasw. Ahhhhhuu? What? I got ****ed and reamed them and they then said that ServiceNet did not even pay them for sending the Technician out to my house and they will not return any of the TV repair shop's phone numbers so they can gte paid for the service call to my house.

The Newegg rep dropped me like a bad habit after I told him what that the local TV Repair shop said. "That I left the computer on over night and attempted to rub out the verticle line which resulted in the black smudges."

It all just crap! The only thing I am guilty of is using the Westy 37" like a TV and computer. Thats it, no abuse, I just plugged my rig into the DVI port and my Dish TV into the HDMI port and used them both.

ServiceNet badgered a local TV repair place to send a technician out to my house to inspect it. He came out and looked it over and said, "I have never seen anything like this before." The black smudges/smears were on the inside of the screen right about in the middle. And the verticle line was from a open word doc but I used it like a normal computer. The technician said, "have you tried to run out the line before?" I said, no, I treat my screens very well and know better than that. He said have you left it on over night? I said, no, I always turn it off. Besides I have a screensaver on my computer for this very reason. He writes down some notes and trhen leaves.

2days later I get a call from ServiceNet saying that the Technician claimed that I left the screen on overnight with a Word doc open and the black smears are from my attempts to rub it out.

WTH!!!??? I called the local TV repair shop and complained and they said thier tech just guessed at what the problem wasw. Ahhhhhuu? What? I got ****ed and reamed them and they then said that ServiceNet did not even pay them for sending the Technician out to my house and they will not return any of the TV repair shop's phone numbers so they can gte paid for the service call to my house.

The Newegg rep dropped me like a bad habit after I told him what that the local TV Repair shop said. "That I left the computer on over night and attempted to rub out the verticle line which resulted in the black smudges."

It all just crap! The only thing I am guilty of is using the Westy 37" like a TV and computer. Thats it, no abuse, I just plugged my rig into the DVI port and my Dish TV into the HDMI port and used them both.

I'm sorry, but I swear... for an item of that price, which still goes for $500 and up now, I would go to the BBB or even small claims court.

I would never let them get away with that crap. It's actually making me angry every time I think about this!! You spent close to $1000 with that service plan. It's NOT FAIR to PAY for a service plan that is SUPPOSED to cover this crap!!!

Please, Kraig... stop being so nice. I know you're a nice guy, but nice guys can play ball too. I consider myself a nice guy, and many of my close friends and family will tell you the same, but I would not let someone get away with this. No way, Jose!!!

Please... don't let them win. This is exactly what they want. They put up $179 service packages and if 1 out of 10 need to use it, they make money, which is understandable as any business is in it to make money, as they should, for their time and efforts. If 0 out of 10 use it, they make even more money, but that should not be based on them SCAMMING you.

Dude, you've no idea how many times I've used the word "scam" or "scamming" with a company that was really jerking me around... it scares the crap out of them. I can be an a-hole... and I will be, if deep down inside I know I'm right and deserving.

Hell, I would make the call for you, man, if there was a way that I could legally or legitimately do that!!

Put the pressure on NewEgg. It's their responsibility to get on their service provider's behind... NewEgg contracted with them, they can deal with it. You're an individual, not a large business that can't waste their time on something like this... individuals should be treated with a tad bit more respect than what you've been given. Remember, you never signed a paper that stated the junk they said (I assume)... nothing in writing, on paper... there's no evidence showing or with you admitting that you caused any of the malfunctions. Feed that to them. You need to be pushie... or you will not get anywhere.

Call me if you want. You know my number.

I'm sorry, but I swear... for an item of that price, which still goes for $500 and up now, I would go to the BBB or even small claims court.

I would never let them get away with that crap. It's actually making me angry every time I think about this!! You spent close to $1000 with that service plan. It's NOT FAIR to PAY for a service plan that is SUPPOSED to cover this crap!!!

Please, Kraig... stop being so nice. I know you're a nice guy, but nice guys can play ball too. I consider myself a nice guy, and many of my close friends and family will tell you the same, but I would not let someone get away with this. No way, Jose!!!

Please... don't let them win. This is exactly what they want. They put up $179 service packages and if 1 out of 10 need to use it, they make money, which is understandable as any business is in it to make money, as they should, for their time and efforts. If 0 out of 10 use it, they make even more money, but that should not be based on them SCAMMING you.

Dude, you've no idea how many times I've used the word "scam" or "scamming" with a company that was really jerking me around... it scares the crap out of them. I can be an a-hole... and I will be, if deep down inside I know I'm right and deserving.

Hell, I would make the call for you, man, if there was a way that I could legally or legitimately do that!!

Put the pressure on NewEgg. It's their responsibility to get on their service provider's behind... NewEgg contracted with them, they can deal with it. You're an individual, not a large business that can't waste their time on something like this... individuals should be treated with a tad bit more respect than what you've been given. Remember, you never signed a paper that stated the junk they said (I assume)... nothing in writing, on paper... there's no evidence showing or with you admitting that you caused any of the malfunctions. Feed that to them. You need to be pushie... or you will not get anywhere.

Call me if you want. You know my number.

I have to agree with this. You paid for the extended warranty in case something like this happened, and you are getting jerked around because that "just in case" did happen. Treat them no differently than you would a troll, because they are doing the same exact thing a troll would do. Don't let them get away with it. They are under a contract to fix it or replace it if something goes wrong with it, and now that it happened, they want to give you a bunch of excuses. This is why I don't purchase extended warranties on anything.

I agree with you. But, what can I do? I have complained, called, e-mailed. Contacted ServiceNet repeatedly and talked with newegg support repeatedly, still nothing.

I agree with you. But, what can I do? I have complained, called, e-mailed. Contacted ServiceNet repeatedly and talked with newegg support repeatedly, still nothing.

Just like Garo said, you are going to have to quit being nice about it. By giving you the option to purchase the extended warranty, they basically presented you with a contract stating that if anything goes wrong with it due to materials or workmanship, it will be fixed or replaced under this warranty. Your paying for the extended warranty is the same as you signing that contract, saying that you agree with the terms. I would contact them and demand a second opinion, from the repair shop or person of your choice. I am pretty sure there is a law somewhere that says they have to give you that much.

that is so biased if one of the companies sends a tech. you should have a independent assessment. hell im sure with your credentials you make an assessment yourselves but that is again biased.

I would make a small claims court threat. tell them your going to file one. play hard ball, no more mr nice guy. i would get in contact with alex or whoever the newegg rep is here.

Pretty simple, dont buy extended warranties from newegg until they change service provider. 'Nuff said.

Personally a couple of my family members swear by uh that ebay one.. "SquareTrade?" or something. They apparently have a second one now too, that looks shady though.

+1 small claims court. They did not honor the agreement in the extended warranty contract by refusing to repair or replace the product in question.

Set it for the amount of the repair you would have had to pay out of pocket + the contact fee for refusing to honor the extended warranty.

I read the fine print in the extended warrenty and it says they do not warrenty burn-in. Since that is what the tech claimed in his report I'm screwed.

Attachments

• burn in.jpg
    burn in.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 403
Like I said before. If you are purchasing a LCD monitor through Newegg.com do not get the extended warranty. They have created the warranties in such a way that they are not libel for any replacements.

wow i cant believe newegg treated you like this .. def not gonna buy from them anymore .. would rather go for a local costco deal instead .. think everyone who read through this should send newegg a email with a link to this thread and tell them how we feel ... its the least we could do .. wouldnt take long at all .. maybe the potential loss of long time customers will open their eye's a bit .. in fact the warranty you circled implies abuse and that you in fact misused the item, but you clearly stated that you did not do that so it should be covered .. they cannot make the determination what you did or didnt do especially if its possible for the defect to happen in such a way other than what was described .. personally id take the small claims route. i remember this a while back about microsoft .. chances are they wont have representaion because of cost and as long as you present a case that is clear you should win including court cost .. even if they have representation your case is pretty solid .. im sure the tv repair man wouldnt mind being on your side especially since he didnt get paid ..

ive been in the court house quite a few times ( ok allot ) and you def have a wining case in my opinion. dont take crap from them because really krag that just gives them more reason to do this to the next guy. could you imagine the situation more unfair than it is already ? think about the little billy's in the world .. who save and save and save then get screwed in the end (probably quite a few already)

ok so i learned:

1. Don't get extended warranties unless the company is REPUTABLE (good luck) that means you SERVICE NET.

Thanks for being at least vocal enough and reaching our little ocforums community about this issue. They won't get a dime from me.

2. Don't buy westinghouse.
=====================================================
It says burn in caused by:
1. Video Games (no proof there is no burned in images of video games)

2.Prolonged display of continuous signal

It doesn't sound like you left anything on continuously as 1 signal (you did mention saver screens and shutting down). They are trying to use that loophole to not honour the warranty.

If that can really kill a monitor then manufactors need to step up to that plate.

3. or other abuse (i'm pretty sure there is no proof of physical abuse)
We have something here like a consumer protection (reporting centre?) to file complaints. I'm not sure how effective that is but I imagine when the complaints add up someone has to make it vocal or it gets looked into so if you really do get treated unfairly you have to make some stand. I don't know anything about attorney generals but do try anything you can to get justice.

Lastly If it really is burn in, there is a program that tries to revive dead pixels, I meant stuck pixels. Not sure if it would help in your case.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/

I wouldn't try to touch anything until you get this sorted though.

I've had panasonic and samsung honour their warranties with replacements that worked longer than I needed them so that's a comforting thought.
I'd like to see newegg have a feedback section for the extended warranties like they do with the rest of their products.

Edit: BBB might have been what i meant as comsumer reports.

Last edited:
Like I said before. If you are purchasing a LCD monitor through Newegg.com do not get the extended warranty. They have created the warranties in such a way that they are not libel for any replacements.

that is the exact claim you want to put in a small claims court..... Whats the point having extended warranty if they limit to nothing? the thing isnt going to magically burn on its own. EVEN if u left on the screen over night and for whatever reason it burned in an image they still should be libel to replace it. they shouldnt have designed a monitor was so ****ity

usually newegg rep makes his way in here but i guess he is staying away .... ***Shame***

that is the exact claim you want to put in a small claims court..... Whats the point having extended warranty if they limit to nothing? the thing isnt going to magically burn on its own. EVEN if u left on the screen over night and for whatever reason it burned in an image they still should be libel to replace it. they shouldnt have designed a monitor was so ****ity

usually newegg rep makes his way in here but i guess he is staying away .... ***Shame***

IN RED... PRECISELY!!!

What the heck did you pay $179 for? That's totally unfair... maybe they didn't steal your $800 (or whatever you paid for the LCD), but that $179 was stolen from you if you asked me... $179 is owed to you NO MATTER WHAT... but honestly, I wouldn't stop at that. I'd get my full money back, and heck I would probably fight it so hard that I'd get my $179 back as well.

Don't feel bad... you should fight for the amount of the product and the $179 for them putting you through this scam and this hell. Never feel bad for someone that started the fire. I'm sorry... that's just how I would do it.

Some words that tend to get a company's attention from weakest to strongest (I've never had to use anything more):

Consumer Reports (kind of weak but whatever)

BBB

state Attorney General's office - your state and the company's

Also, even though you've emailed already, send a certified letter. That gets a company's attention pretty well too.

Back