• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Set RAM to run at 1333MHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sliver59

Registered
My motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M-LE, and I just upgraded my RAM. I shoved in a 1333MHz dual-channel kit, and after running speccy, it's only running at like 600MHz, the same speed as my previous memory. The motherboard does support up to 1333MHz speeds.

I went into the BIOS and found the settings for overclocking the Memory, but the highest I seem to be able to set it to is 800 (which I have it at now). My motherboard supports these speeds, but I can't make heads or tails of some of these settings. So, collection of my BIOS screens that I found:

http://www.motherboards-reviews.com...78LT-M_LE/ASUS_M4A78LT-M_LE_BIOS_screens.html

Any sort of help would be really helpful, and I appreciate it a lot. On a second note, quick question: I'm playing games and livestreaming it at the same time, but my used RAM never goes above 4GB. If I had known that my used RAM would never go above 4, I wouldn't have bought 8. Is there any way I can actually use the extra memory that I have?

Well, it is actually running at DDR3 1600 Mhz (shows 800 but Double Data Rate = 1600). So you are actually OVERclocking that ram.

As far as your amount of memory, what OS do you have? Is it 64bit? If it is 32bit, you will not be able to use more than the 4GB. If you want it to run 1333 MHz set it to that in the bios, set the 4 major timings to what it says on the SPD tab under the 685MHz section, and set the voltage to 1.5v.

It's 64-bit, windows recognizes all of the RAM. Unfortunately all of the programs are all running at 32-bit, but I would think that multiple 32-bit programs would use over 4G

As for the fact that I'm now overclocking it, I've never dived into overclocking before. Would you recommend I clock it back down, or keep it where it is?

Ram is used "as needed" in most cases. So just because it is there, does not mean it will be used.

I would set it to its stock speed, timings, and voltage, yes.

If it is running above recommended voltage, then yes put it back to default. That is what will damage hardware.

Back