• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SetFSB question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

If you run SetFSB on a laptop and the first thing it gives you is a chipset error message, does that mean it you can't use it on that board?

HP DV6113US. Motherboard by Quanta, model 30B7.

Chipset is Geforce 6150.

start cycling through the PLL's, you should be able to find one that works

start cycling through the PLL's, you should be able to find one that works

This is my first time using SetFSB. I found mention of 2 PLL's that might work with it, but neither of them let me run the sliders at all. How do you tell when you've got a working one?

You'll be able to hit "Get FSB" move the sliders, hit "Set FSB", and see a change in CPU speed in cpuz.
Most of them will simply fail.
Some will crash SetFSB.
Some will crash the whole system (reboot, it'll be fine), and a select few will hopefully work just fine.

The numbers don't necessarily need to be accurate, if it thinks you're adjusting from 600fsb to 610fsb and is really from 266 to 276 that's fine, as long as it really adjusts the fsb.

If you know the PLL of your board, and you are certain it is not on the SetFSB list, will other PLL's still work?

Yup. I've been using the PLL in SetFSB that matches my P5Q Pro for everything, that includes a ud3p, a p55-ud4p, a p55-ud3l, and the R3E.

Be careful with setFSB and just randomly checking PLLs. It can corrupt a windows install. Ive seen it happen once and heard of it happening several other times.

You'll be able to hit "Get FSB" move the sliders, hit "Set FSB", and see a change in CPU speed in cpuz.
Most of them will simply fail.
Some will crash SetFSB.
Some will crash the whole system (reboot, it'll be fine), and a select few will hopefully work just fine.

The numbers don't necessarily need to be accurate, if it thinks you're adjusting from 600fsb to 610fsb and is really from 266 to 276 that's fine, as long as it really adjusts the fsb.

They were greyed out for all the PPLs in there.

However, Nvidia's Ntune actually worked quite well. I've got it to the max FSB it will let me run and it hasn't crashed yet. Up to 2Ghz from 1.6Ghz. Got me the #4 spot for CPU-Z and Wprime32. Doing the other benches now.

Be careful with setFSB and just randomly checking PLLs. It can corrupt a windows install. Ive seen it happen once and heard of it happening several other times.

I've also heard of it happening in just regular overclocking. But not to worry, I've got a fresh backup to restore from if anything gets screwy.

Gotta hit "Get FSB" after selecting a PLL, otherwise the sliders won't enable themselves.

Back