• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI and Folding@Home simultaneously

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howetechnical

Hi all,

I wouldn't imagine there would be any problems with this, but just wanted to check. Running F@H and SETI simultaneously, which option should I use:

1) F@H + SETI (CPU Only)
2) F@H + SETI (CPU+GPU)
3) F@H + SETI (GPU Only)
3) Don't run both simultenously

I've seen issues when both are run at the same time - something about the main programs not getting along well together? Hmmm, I can't remember, it's been awhile since anyone tried this. Maybe you can get it to work OK? :)

If not, Rosetta is the same topic as F@H but it's a different university and uses BOINC ...

My suggestion is to run SETI on the CPU only and Folding on the GPU. When I run the GPU systray client for folding, it proves quite stable and effecient while the CPU is in use. There's an option to tick "higher priority" for the GPU unit when folding. You could also set BOINC to use 3 cores (75%) if you wanted to leave something free for the F@H GPU.

I'd be careful with running both - all it takes is one to have a higher priority then it will starve the other. I suppose in theory if you have a quad core chip you could have BOINC use two cores and FaH use two cores.

However, the two seem to work quite differently (I've not used SETI recently but I run Rosetta on three machiens). FaH gives massive points boosts for WUs being returned quickly.

Rosetta (and I presume SETI?) copes better on not-bleeding-edge hardware (my dual 2.8 GHz box running 24/7 keeps up with my X2 @ 2.7 GHz running 14 hrs/7) than FaH does.

So, with that said:

- If you have a powerful (i7) CPU, run FaH on the CPU and SETI on the GPU.
- If you have anything less powerful than an i7, run FaH on the GPU and SETI on the CPU.

Just my £0.02.

Currently switched over all of my GPU's, except the 1 in my CUDA test rig, to FAH, while leaving SETI running on the CPU only. Not having any problems at all. I'll be back to full on SETI in a couple of months, after the Chimp Challenge.

Currently switched over all of my GPU's, except the 1 in my CUDA test rig, to FAH, while leaving SETI running on the CPU only. Not having any problems at all. I'll be back to full on SETI in a couple of months, after the Chimp Challenge.

LOL... ignore that PM then! Looks like I will be able to catch you ;) I too will be helping out in the chimp challange, but will wait till the race gets closer.

Yes, the chimp challenge doesn't start until May, but It's March/April Madness right now and I couldn't resist the opportunity to win an i7 920. Though I'm not too sure what I'd do with it. Add to the farm, or replace the old Phenom 9500.

Just noticed on my main rig today. I still had some SETI Cuda units to be finished, so I fired up folding on the cpu. I think I needed to work more on the affinities. Cuda units that were taking 12 to 14 minutes, were taking 2 1/2+ hours each.

I'll just finish them out, then switch over to the contest. Folding is off of the CPU for now and the Seti units are cranking again. I hate to leave units hanging, whatever the project.

Back