• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI@Home CUDA GPU client released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will this run with the optimized apps installed? And does this run as a supplement to the regular work units (4 regular wu's and a CUDA wu on my QX9650 system)?

Will this run with the optimized apps installed? And does this run as a supplement to the regular work units (4 regular wu's and a CUDA wu on my QX9650 system)?
No unfortunately, I just tried that. Although its extremely fast. Its almost done with a 2:30 long workunit after 33 minutes. Also, I believe that its using the CPU and the GPU at the same time to work on a given workunit which is why it doesnt work.

I'm just wondering does this include the linux clients? Does seti CUDA support work natively in linux?

hmmm can u run the optimized client with this?? will icrunch 4 units at a time or 5?

figures it was too good to be true.. the thing wont work with optimized ak stuff.. guess untill the optimizers come out i wont use the gpu

Last edited:
I'm just wondering does this include the linux clients? Does seti CUDA support work natively in linux?
Haha dude, look at my sig, of course. Go download the .sh for BOINC 6.4.5, run it and then cd BOINC and ./run_manager. You need a recent nvidia driver and make sure that your BOINC system service is shut down (if you've installed from the repositories) before running the new one. As the new one will just connect to whatever service is already running (ie. the old one).

o man!! o man!! what timing! think of a bunch of these running FAH on the 9400 it has.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=588758
i just wonder how many 9400's are needed to match one GTX280 in crunching power. im thinking for the same power used, a bunch of those may beat the GTX280 in work done per watt.

Haha dude, look at my sig, of course. Go download the .sh for BOINC 6.4.5, run it and then cd BOINC and ./run_manager. You need a recent nvidia driver and make sure that your BOINC system service is shut down (if you've installed from the repositories) before running the new one. As the new one will just connect to whatever service is already running (ie. the old one).
it's not working for me. BOINC successfully detects CUDA device but S@H not use it. on WinXP it's working ok. maybe becouse S@H linux client is older than windows? (6.03 vs 6.05)

Last edited:

it's not working for me. BOINC successfully detects CUDA device but S@H not use it. on WinXP it's working ok. maybe becouse S@H linux client is older than windows? (6.03 vs 6.05)
Im not really sure where those version numbers come from. I am using BOINC 6.4.5 with setiathome app version 5.28. Also, CUDA support is built into the nvidia drivers but you need a fairly recent version and I dont remember off hand what version exactly it is that you need. The version 177 driver that comes with Ubuntu Intrepid doesnt seem to cut it. I am working on installing 180.06 right now to see if theres a difference.

[Edit]
Irritatingly enough, after some searching apparently Linux is not supported. Which doesnt seem to make much sense as there is full support for it in the latest drivers. I have just tested and BOINC with the 180.11 nvidia driver from the jaunty repos will not use the GPU. Wow, major fail on there part...

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/cuda_faq.php

Last edited:
how do utilize the other cores of my system? the CUDA app is running right now but the other cores are idle.

Last edited:
Back