• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI is shutting down March 31st 2020

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are many projects out there so pick whatever interests you. Some are more CPU or GPU based than others. I suggest looking at World Community Grid for a CPU one as they do a mix of projects that may contribute to helping the world out.

With mining, it usually comes down to return on investment, or the longer term hopes that what you do now will be worth something in future. Not for everyone and the "easy money" has long passed.

I'll try Folding. I plan to switch each Seti Cruncher to a different application. Pick the project I like best for all.

BTW is the BTC in you signature BitCoin?

Yep. I haven't done anything with it for years though. I'm getting foldingcoin through my folding username, but nobody trades it anymore either. So I'm just folding for the science now.

Come join me at Einstein @ Home! Somebody needs to boot me out of the #1 spot. Just be sure to enable your stats so others can see your stats ( I just posted a post under OTHER DC PROJECTS on how to do that).

Horribleron
Seti at Home #15
Einstein at Home #1

Nooooo! So much for my dreams of overtaking Razorface someday.

Time to think of another project. Maybe F@H, maybe something else.

Or just save the electricity.....

Well it's pretty much over now. The staff have disabled the process that adds more data to the distribution queue and all of the tapes have run out of new work to send out.

the project will remain up to collect any tasks that are still out in the wild being processed, as well as distributing resends of tasks that do not validate. so it wont be DEAD dead for many more months yet.

personally I have achieved the realistic goals that I had set for myself in the last month. I got to 3rd place in the world for total credits, as well as 2nd and 5th place for total credits by a single host.

now I have moved 2 of my 3 hosts to GPUGrid, and will run Einstein@home as a backup project whenever GPUGrid is out of work. the 3rd system will be moved to GPUGrid also once my PCIE x16 risers get here (since GPUGrid needs a lot of PCIE bandwidth, can't get full speed with just x1 USB risers)

personally I have achieved the realistic goals that I had set for myself in the last month. I got to 3rd place in the world for total credits, as well as 2nd and 5th place for total credits by a single host.

Congratulations.

I'm taking a break and sadly shutting down two fine crunchers. Trying Folding on this one. Will try GPUGrid after break. Still want to get Ubuntu/BOINC with Nvidia GPU's running.

I'm moving to GPUGrid because they have well optimized apps for Nvidia (cuda 10+). runs both on Windows and Linux, but the Linux one is a bit faster. And I think the work they are doing is important. They don't have COVID-19 work specifically (right now, supposed to be some in the near future), but they work they do is more general and supports other COVID-19 research. so it's still helping there.

For anyone else wondering, GPUGrid is Nvidia only at the moment. they don't have apps for AMD cards.

Finished my last AstroPulse. Started my first GPUGrid. Transition was easy. Thanks.

GPUGRID: Doubled number of hosts
If I am not missing anything, GPUGRID volunteers doubled the number of active hosts in the last month. It may have been either due to the closing of seti@home, or a consequence of folding at home’s covid effort.

Last edited:
Very sad news. Had to come out of my own years long hibernation to post. Would like to say it's been a pleasure crunching with you all over the years - from SETI Classic through BOINC, from the CPU to GPU era - the races we held, the thirst for optimisation, ever changing goals.. Got to know some very cool people on here; realistically, who else would understand how VLARs affect RAC and other esoteric minutiae? I remember my dad showing me SETI@home in late 1999 - I was barely 10 years old - on our 133mhz pentium 1, 48MB RAM (which we only upgraded from 16MB a few months earlier, and switched out the 28.8kbps rockwell modem for some generic 56k one - didn't sound as nice when dialing in :( ).. Boy how the times have changed! Looking at the computing power today compared to then.. simply astronomical :p (okay I'll see myself out :D )

I hold hope the project will start up again *at some point*, and when it does, my cycles will always be here :D

(incidentally, I'm currently building a new rig after not having a PC at all for several years, woo!)

Last edited:
late 1999 - I was barely 10 years old - on our 133mhz pentium 1

Ahh the thrill of a BP6 with two 300MHz Celerons clocked at 450MHz.

FWIW BOINC makes it easy to select projects. I've been running CPUGRID for a month.
It took a while to lose the association of SETI@Home to BOINC. Finally the Screen Saver did it.

Good luck with your new build.

Back