• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silicon Lottery Store Offering Prebinned Intel & AMD Processors Shutting Down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.techpowerup.com/287269/...-prebinned-intel-amd-processors-shutting-down ⇾ https://siliconlottery.com/

"Our online store will be closing on October 31, 2021. Any orders placed for our delidding service will need to be delivered to us by November 30, 2021 for completion. For warranty or other assistance after we close the store, contact us at the email listed on your packing slip."

"We're shutting down not for just one reason, but for a combination of many. As you may be aware, overclocking headroom has been dwindling these past several years with manufacturers offering higher frequencies at stock, better boosting algorithms, and tighter bins between models which reduces overclock frequency variation (the 11900K is essentially a binned 11700K, so with the 11900K we're binning what has already been fairly heavily binned). This type of product segmentation is nothing new, but having such minor differences between two models is a more recent shift. Intel has also switched from a polymer TIM back to a solder TIM starting with their 9th generation CPUs, which has reduced the thermal benefits achieved from delidding. In addition, supply issues have taken a major toll on us, even before the pandemic started. Our orders with distributors for the last few releases have been nightmares of delays upon delays."

Not surprising in the least. They called this a couple of years back.

CHeers SL! Thanks for your work!

Not surprising, but on the other hand, it was hard to call it a serious business in the first place. Considering market changes it was expected sooner or later.
Overclocking problems are also hitting the overclocking community as it was much more lively a couple of years ago. Now there is no point to OC as results are usually disappointing. Those who enjoy overclocking often dig into old stuff as new hardware is not so much fun.

I looked at their site pretty much every time I built a rig but never could justify the added cost for what I could most likely accomplish on my own so never spent money there. Sad to see another pc site shutdown with so few left though.

Only real benefits to OC are on the lower end unlocked CPUs at this point. But when you need or want a high end CPU, there's little to wring out.

That said, I'm happy with the binned 8086K I got from them.

Back