• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti Project Killed before it was born.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Theres no SH4 compatible executable of Setiathome, nor is the source code for it in Linux available. Damn.

I'm not sure I'm following you. This is a joke right? Why would anyone want to run seti on a Hitachi SH4 cpu? Secondly the source code is not avaiable for any platform for a darn good reason.

I couldn't find a good enough excuse to get into Linux other then running Seti...

on a Sega Dreamcast. :D :D

32-bit Risc. I'm in the middle of download a Linux kernal pre-compiled to run on the Dreamcast. I just wanted to see what times I could get from the system with Seti. Imagine if it can do around 10-12hours per wu. They can be had for less then $100 with a built in 56k modem. Just throw in the Linux on cdr with a Seti client preconfigured for your account, and you got yourself a cheap seti cruncher.:p

If that were possible, it would be humorous to see the execs at SEGA try to figure the sudden run on their otherwise non-selling dreamcast....

Mpegger said:
I couldn't find a good enough excuse to get into Linux other then running Seti...

on a Sega Dreamcast. :D :D

32-bit Risc. I'm in the middle of download a Linux kernal pre-compiled to run on the Dreamcast. I just wanted to see what times I could get from the system with Seti. Imagine if it can do around 10-12hours per wu. They can be had for less then $100 with a built in 56k modem. Just throw in the Linux on cdr with a Seti client preconfigured for your account, and you got yourself a cheap seti cruncher.:p
Now that would be interesting to see, especially as an addition to our benchmarks section. Let us know how it works out.

WOW Seti on a dreamcast...POST IT WHEN YOU FIGURE IT OUT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...That systems is like 50 bucks MAYBE, I've found them for like 20 or 30 dollars. 2 WU's a day per unit at 30 dollars a piece...Would rock. Normal Seti cruncher is like around 200 right...Ish...So therefore you could have like 7 dreamcasts at 2 wu's per day, thats 14 WU's PER DAY....FOR ABOUT 200 DOLLARS....AWESOME....POST YOUR IDEA PLEASE IF IT WORKS.

Like I said, it wont be happening.:(

The Linux x86 kernal has to be recompiled to run on the Hitachi SuperH SH4 cpu, which is a RISC processor. It sould be possible to recompile any source code available to run on the SH4. But since Setiathome is only distributed compiled, I highly doubt with my 0% knowledge in programing, that I'd be able to figure some way out to get it to work. Any emulation would render any benifits the cpu may have useless.

And although there is a group porting Linux to the SuperH family (for embeded usage), I doubt even they could convice the Seti@home team to release a SH4 compatible exe.

I dont think you'll have any success either with a PS2 running Seti.:(

Back