• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up quad monitor setup, help?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nanaea

Hi everyone,
I'm currently on the market to get a triple + one monitor set up and a new graphic card to withstand this set up and I need a little help.
So here's the run down, I want to run 3x Asus VX238H plus a LG 42inch TV (full HD), the TV is just off my viewing angle and is not generally used but I'd like it to be connected and working at all times since it comes in very handy, the 3 monitors will be side by side. I don't want any clone screen, I'd like to have them all in a extended set up.
Even though I will be gaming I just want/need the center monitor or the TV running the game so the other monitors will just have internet pages open or Teamspeak or something similar.
As for the graphic card I have in mind in getting either 2x GTX 760 right now or 1x GTX 770 right now and add another one later (3 months down the road).

So here are the questions:
1- Is it possible to set this up?
2- How do I connect all those monitors to either card set up, what adapters do I need? (the TV will run on the HDMI)
3- Do I connect all the monitors to the same card?
4- I know that in SLI only the master card uses it's memory so I'm thinking of getting the master card with 4GB and the slave with 2GB is this ok and possible, or just a bad idea? The cards in question would be a EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified with the EVGA GeForce GTX 770 as for the 760 it's the EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB paired with the EVGA GeForce GTX 760, please notice that these cards may run on different speeds, is that a problem?

The motherboard can take SLI set up and so can the power supply.
I can't think of anything else but any advice is welcome :)

Thank you!

What is the main use for the triple monitors, and the TV? Gaming across all three vs. gaming on one vs. web browsing will have different needs.
1. Yes.
2/3. Depends on the card
4. Both cards should have the same amount of VRAM.

So the TV is just to watch movies and do presentations and sometimes run a game on it. The 3 monitors will be mostly for work and when I do game only one screen will run the game all the others might just have some web pages open on them. However I do want them all connected and working at the same time.

For that 2/3 question, it's the cards I posted on 4 and given what you said I should then get both cards exactly the same.

Both the 760 and 770 support four monitor output. The only adapter you would need is a Displayport to DVI. All the cards you listed already have one HDMI and two DVI.

What games will you be playing? On 1080p you don't really need to go SLI. Start out the one higher card, and down the road (months/years) when you need more power get SLI.

What's your budget? If you wanted you could go with a single GTX 780.

My budget is around 500€ so the 770 is perfect, the most played games are League of Legends and Dota2 although occasionally I do play some heavy duty games such as Crysis 3 :/

By the way the Asus monitor says this "Signal Input : HDMI x 2, D-Sub, DVI-D (via HDMI-to-DVI cable)" so my plan is to use the HDMI for the TV and get that adapter for the display port but can I connect the remaining 2 monitor with those 2 DVI on the graphic card? they are different on the graphic card one is DVI-I and the other DVI-D, can I use the adapter that comes with the Asus monitor on both those outputs??

DVI-D will fit into DVI-I.
LL.gif

The 770 will handle LoL and DOTA just fine. Crysis 3, you might have to turn some settings down, but it'll still do well.

Never doubted it would have a problem with those games LoL or Dota my only issue is the fact that's it's running 4 screens :s, do you think 4GB are necessary?

I have four screens running right now. Three are on various tabs, the third is at desktop. Afterburner reports 260MB of VRAM in use. Gaming across three monitors (3480x1024) in BF3 on ultra, with a webpage on the fourth monitor, I have yet to use all 3GB of VRAM. Though it is in the mid-2GBs. I hear Crysis 3 is VRAM hungry.

Google results are coming up with 2.4MB+ VRAM usage. If you can, I'd say go for the 4GB. Might wait for other people's comments though also.

Okay, so I guess getting 4GB would just be for the sake of future proofing it. Although if I do game on all 3 the resolution I'd be using is 5760x1080 which I'm sure would blow a bit more memory :/. Thanks for your help anyway :) I've gotten a nice feel about this now and I'm a bit better informed ;)

Back