• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should AMD Have Kept 939 Going?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah 939 was a great socket and is was getting so dirt cheap to build a nice system. I built my friend a 939 system for 550$ and it played bf2 maxed out at 1600 x 1200 at above 70fps. Thats soooo dirt cheap!

I dumped 1200$ into the system in my sig and Its really not that much faster than my athlon xp 2500 system was... (not joking) with good stable drives and ballanced system parts it was fast. This thing just looks good in benchmarks :D

piotrr said:
They should have kept 939 for a while, yes. Especially because of the success of the Core2Duo.

If I were to upgrade (again) today from my current 939 platform, I could go Intel or AMD at a whim, because I would have to replace my motherboard, my CPU and my RAM either way, so I might as well go over to Intel, won't cost me anything extra for the performance gains.

Same goes for anyone who has a socket 939 currently, maybe an older processor. They'd like to upgrade, but as AMD are phasing out all 939 processors, forcing people to upgrade, they are forcing people to consider that the C2Ds are just as large an upgrade, and are currently the better performers and overclockers.

So yes, they should have kept 939 production up for at least another 6 months.

I feel exactly the same way.

It's not that AMD should have/ shouldn't have come out with AM2 it's the fact that they left all there customers who bought 939 systems with little means to upgrade in the future except for a full system overhaul. Most people today would rather shell out the extra $$ for a C2D system then an AM2. If AMD still made 939 processors at these prices a lot of people would have rather just got a new 939 then upgraded there whole rig.

The big factor why people aren't upgrading to AM2 isn't performance, DDR2, or even the C2D but it's the price. AMD would have kept a lot of us very happy with just getting another dual core 939 but when most people looked to go dual core most saw that they would have to do a full system overhaul (CPU, mobo, RAM) and AMD lost out.

I know I would have bought a dual core 939 if they were around but since they're not my next build will most likely be a C2D.

Had some time to play with a 939 4000 Sandy (San Diego Goodness) Denmark's sister chip and just as sweet. Decided to see what it clocked to. I had a 3700 in this mobo that was stable in the 2.7-2.8 range but I had to push the HTT past 260 which this board seemed to have a problem with. With the 4000, I'm at 2905 HTT242 stock volts at 1.35. I have to say, 939s had some good CPUs so enjoy them if you have some good ram.

You reached 2.9ghz on a 4000+ 939 ooooooooooooow I think I'll see what I can get mine upto the motherboard I have isn't the best OCer but I'll try.

Running both AM2 and 939 concurrently would have been an inventory nightmare. Do you make more of one CPU or the other this month? They're not using the same cores so its not like you can shift back and forth between which packaging to put them in. Also when you get a surplus of one type of CPU, you can't just sell it for the same amount as the other CPU. It'll collect dust. Do the OEMs then keep two types of motherboards in stock to keep up with the changing prices?

Overall its a nightmare to try to sell both at the same time.

I just got a good starting Oc with my 3700@2640 240Htt.
If the A64 dual cores prices go much lower I wont be able to resist. I just got done building this rig though. Long live socket 939!!!

Back