• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i get an open box gpu if it is substantially marked down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

Or do you think its used and therefore a huge gamble EVEN THOUGH most stores have a short return window for opened items?

Care to indulge us as to what GPU and what price difference?

Or do you think its used and therefore a huge gamble EVEN THOUGH most stores have a short return window for opened items?

There are only 3 reasons I can think of a GPU having an open box.

1) Someone needed to see what type of connection?
2) Someone wanted the 'free game' code?
3) It was a return.

If it was a return there is no telling what was done to it.
Is the return policy good?
What card, and what price?

There are only 3 reasons I can think of a GPU having an open box.

1) Someone needed to see what type of connection?
2) Someone wanted the 'free game' code?
3) It was a return.

If it was a return there is no telling what was done to it.
Is the return policy good?
What card, and what price?

Just because someone opened it and returned it doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.
I've seen numerous times someone buy a GPU just to use it as a test part while troubleshooting and then return it.

Just because someone opened it and returned it doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.
I've seen numerous times someone buy a GPU just to use it as a test part while troubleshooting and then return it.

Of course.
I wasn't saying there is something automatically wrong.
But, I would be concerned if a guy who has a faulty PSU that destroys his GPU, buys another one, finds it "doesn't work" either (because he just blew it), then returns it.... or any other similar scenario.

Sure, that's not that common, so it was just a concern not a claim.

I would definitely find out from the retailer why the box is open.

I would definitely find out from the retailer why the box is open.

99.9% of the time they either won't know or don't care to know.
You can certainly ask, but getting an answer other than "I don't know" is highly unlikely.

If it is a reputable company they will generally test when things come back before they sell them.

Ditto. I've purchased many open box items (motherboards and GPUs mostly) and been very pleased. Be careful of the shipping costs, however. Often, the shipping is not free and can largely offset the savings.

Up to you as soon here is more risk of course when new... That said I have had good experiences with mine used purchases.

Back