• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I have more RAM being utilized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

Not sure if this is correct but using Win 7 64 & 8 GB RAM, when transfering files or something that isn't a software-based memory issue, should I get more usage from my RAM?

I know my paging file was down to "0", but I still had about 5.3 GB left in the RAM. I was transferring 16GB of RAW pics from one HD to another, took about 3 min.

Is this normal usage or can I adjust anything? Transfer was from Caviar Blue to Black internal drives.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Why would it show 5154 avail? Not a master here yet on specs so bear with me. :)

Also, what is considered 35%, does this refer to what is being consumed?

Transferring files from one hard drive to another (internal or external) doesn't use hardly any memory. It is a process that will use the page file while it's doing it because it's on the drive, (short cut), but you are only reading and writing from drive to drive. Very little memory and very little processor use. The 35% is the amount of memory being used (You are correct). Some used in that process and the rest is the (approx) 54 processes and services that run all the time. If you click on the processes tab while your looking at it that will show you exactly which processes are using how much memory. It might go quicker if you increase the size of the paging file. It will actually decrease the size of free space on your hard drive - so make sure you have room. Here is one explanation on how to do it. You can google it for more choices on how.

Back