• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I mine with my 2nd 3090?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
So I talked The Wife into letting me get a 2nd 3090, an ASUS ROG STRIX. The argument was to resell on Ebay to make some cash to apply toward the new motor in my truck. Looks like I could pretty easily make about $800, maybe up to $1k (US) if I'm lucky.

However... I can sell my son's 2070 Super for probably $800 itself, offset some of the cost of the card and run it on ETH, probably pay for itself (at today's rates) in 4.5 months or so (after applying the 2070 Super's profit toward it).

Then I'll have 2 3090s mining essentially full time from now on, all profit.

Thoughts?

I realize, the 3090 isn't the most economical card to run - but it's what I've got, and I'm not worried about the elec cost. Running 250-260MH/s sounds pretty good to me.

hmmm risky endeavor :D

but honestly, if I were you, Id sell both 3090s and the 2070 and get two 3080s if you can get cards at close to normal prices or something, thatd be both safe (wife-wise :) ) and good efficiency

If you could GET some 3080s... again, you use what you have. I'm not paying stupid inflated prices for them. Heck 3080s are going for more than I paid for not just my first 3090, but even the inflated retail cost of this recent one.

well ya, but thats valid for 3090s too, howd u get this one ? :))

anyway, its all up to you, Id keep all 3 myself, but you gotta get it approved first, I have for a while so Im chill on that aspect :))

Well I have it approved... although I gotta sell the 2070 to offset some of this cost. I'm spending like 5k on my truck for engine replacement and trans rebuild, so... the wife's eyeroll is getting pretty pronounced. lol

Well I have it approved... although I gotta sell the 2070 to offset some of this cost. I'm spending like 5k on my truck for engine replacement and trans rebuild, so... the wife's eyeroll is getting pretty pronounced. lol

then keep it man, its a sweet card in a mad world, I personally think it will last all year, because its not just mining, its a global chip shortage which wont offset soon

Mine. But will you also have to buy more hardware for it? That may put her over the edge.

Also, in a few months the 2070 & 3090 will likely have mines the profit you would get from selling the 2070. So to me there isn't any advantage to selling the 2070.

Mine. But will you also have to buy more hardware for it? That may put her over the edge.

Also, in a few months the 2070 & 3090 will likely have mines the profit you would get from selling the 2070. So to me there isn't any advantage to selling the 2070.

I'd be putting the 3090 in my son's computer and mining, pulling the 2070 out. I COULD theoretically put the 2070 in my second machine I am typing on - but I think The Wife would prefer I sold it to recoup some of the cost of the 3090. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

I sold my RX570. It made approximately $25 a week. Since I sold it I could have made $200. Do I regret selling it? Slightly. Simply because what I made from the sale I also could have made from mining.

But, I was also thinking with the 3060 coming out that the lower spec chip would fulfill gamers demand and lessen the value of my 570. That did not come through.

I bet you could mine for a month or so on that 2070 and still sell it in 2 months for what you can sell it for today. I cannot see into the future tho.

I'd be putting the 3090 in my son's computer and mining, pulling the 2070 out. I COULD theoretically put the 2070 in my second machine I am typing on - but I think The Wife would prefer I sold it to recoup some of the cost of the 3090. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

dont push it, sell it well, tell the wife, this is more important

I just talked to her again and floated the idea of keeping all three - she said, "I thought we were selling one of them to recoup the cost???" She says sell the 2070 Super, so that lets me keep both 3090s and she is fine with that - had to give her a few days to get used to the idea on her own - I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead and keep the big dogs!

:D

<edit> And my 15 y/o is going to lose his mind when I stick a 3090 in his machine. lol

He's got a 3700x and a Corsair Rm850X PSU, so I think that should be good. We won't be cranking the power on it, just the memory.

I just talked to her again and floated the idea of keeping all three - she said, "I thought we were selling one of them to recoup the cost???" She says sell the 2070 Super, so that lets me keep both 3090s and she is fine with that - had to give her a few days to get used to the idea on her own - I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead and keep the big dogs!

<edit> And my 15 y/o is going to lose his mind when I stick a 3090 in his machine. lol

He's got a 3700x and a Corsair Rm850X PSU, so I think that should be good. We won't be cranking the power on it, just the memory.

see, best solution & everyone happy
this way even if things change and ether drops tomorrow, you will be fine

Hopefully there will always be something to mine...

there will be dont worry, may not be/prolly wont be, as profitable as now, but there will be something
remember there was no ETH in existence when some of us here started ;)

I guess I am lucky as my wife is on board. She doesn't even give me the stink eye when something mining comes in. BUT, I always fill her in with what I am taking out of crypto to buy specific mining items. It also helps that when she goes into the garage she sees the mining pile growing.

Likewise when I buy crypto or stocks. I update her and she also gets excited when I make money.

I guess I am lucky as my wife is on board. She doesn't even give me the stink eye when something mining comes in. BUT, I always fill her in with what I am taking out of crypto to buy specific mining items. It also helps that when she goes into the garage she sees the mining pile growing.

Likewise when I buy crypto or stocks. I update her and she also gets excited when I make money.

My wife is "ok" with it... she doesn't give me too much problem. She will get more "ok" over time as she sees actual benefits from it. I've only been doing this about 3 weeks now, so she's still skeptical this is "real" money I'm trying to generate. lol

Ask her if she is ok with keeping the 2070 if you will make the money from both 3090's and the 2070 within a two month timeframe. Theoretically, you would make $800 in just over a month's time.

The 2070 itself will pay for itself in approximately 6 months. This is paying it down to $0. Even if the market floods with new 3xxx series cards I bet it will still have a $200-$300 value.

If ETH goes up like it has since I've sold my 570 that period of making $800 will shorten.

Ask her if she is ok with keeping the 2070 if you will make the money from both 3090's and the 2070 within a two month timeframe. Theoretically, you would make $800 in just over a month's time.

The 2070 itself will pay for itself in approximately 6 months. This is paying it down to $0. Even if the market floods with new 3xxx series cards I bet it will still have a $200-$300 value.

If ETH goes up like it has since I've sold my 570 that period of making $800 will shorten.

likely, but not guaranteed, actually nothing is
imo the prime idea here is that he shouldnt push it too hard

I know I am a bad influence. But, better to regret keeping a card for too long versus regret for not keeping it long enough. :D

I know I am a bad influence. But, better to regret keeping a card for too long versus regret for not keeping it long enough. :D

Id keep em all 3 too, but you gotta know how to pick your fights, its better to regret selling a GPU than regret fighting with your wife over a stupid GPU

Back