• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I move up to e6750 over the 2180?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckyLyndy

Registered
My question to you guys is: is this new chip worth it over my chip in terms of real performance? My e2180 is less than a month old. A friend bought the same chip, but this weekend picked up Core 2 Duo e6750, listed below. We both have the same mobo, Abit P-35-e. He says the difference in speed is amazing.
So is the difference worth selling my relatively new 2180, and stepping up to the plate?
This is a brand new Core 2 Duo e6750 CPU with 4mb cache and 1333 bus.
Vs. the E2180? These e6750's are cropping up now with a price of around $150.

Thanks,
Lyndon

Do you plan to overclock at all?

What kind of cooling do you have?

Clock for clock these chips will be near identical (minus the cache difference) so unless you are hoping for a high OC I would stick with what you have. I don't think the difference will be worth $150 unless you want to hit 3.6ghz+.

I'd say save your cash and look into other options. Q6600s are coming down in price and the E8400 should become easily available soon enough. Microcenter still has them for sub $200 w/o taxes.

Satandole666 said:
Clock for clock these chips will be near identical (minus the cache difference)

A good point. And the other comments about the higher chips also.
But it does seem that the boards have been saying these older generation chips would drop in price when Intel released the new ones, but were they not supposed to release them more than a month ago?
Thanks again for the fast input.
Lyndon

No. You should have fun with the e2180 because the performance difference is not that great (as compared to e6750 @stock). You'll get more out of upping to quad core. you already have dual core.

your only two benefits are
- bigger cache
- vt support

Temps will be lower too. What's this upgrade for? can you get a good price for the e6750?

The bigger cache is one of the things my friend mentioned. He also said he was able to overclock it to 3+ very easily.
EBC Computers is a 'clearinghouse' out here in Utah, and last week, they were selling the e6750 for $130+tax. My friend should have called me from the store, but he sent an email from his iPhone that they had 3 left. When I called the store an hour later, they were gone. Now their price is back to $190+tax. I was looking on eprey, and noticed that there has been several sales of the same cpu, at around $150. (Pretty close to the local ones when you add tax). But was wondering when the new generation of Intel processors would cause the e6750, and higher level ones to start dropping. A friend mentioned the Wolfson dropping to $180. I wonder how they rate against the Intel 8*** series.
Thanks, CrispyCrunch
Lyndon

E7200 or E7300 I think will be out very very soon..it's $130 and will hit 3ghz no problem.
The other option is E8300 and E8400. They're faster than the e6750 but in real terms they are practically the same.

Back