• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I push this system further?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Splinter733

Registered
Wasn't sure where to put this so sorry if I've gotten the wrong area.

Hi, I'm new to the forums here and for a while I've been wondering if I'm really get the most out of my system. Here are my current hardware stats:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1207_803&products_id=17527

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHZ (Not OC)

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Overclocked 3GB http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1309&products_id=19269 (2 Monitors)

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB (1333MHz) (1.65V) (4x4GB) DDR3 (2x http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_218_1125&products_id=15517)

Sound Card: Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=211&products_id=16247)

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H70 Core CPU Cooler http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19073 (Runs with 2 fans on either side)

Fans: (apart from the CPU cooling fans): 2 Outtake fans on top, 1 intake fan on the front.

PSUs: CoolerMaster SilentPro M 1000W

Temps: Whilst idle, CPU stays around 19-24 and GPU stays around 39 to 45. Under load (So far only tested it with GTA IV at full with a movie playing on the other monitor) CPU can get to 30 and GPU can get to 50. (I'm sure that the CPU would go to about 50 when rendering movies at full).

I realize that my RAM being at only 1333MHz might bottle neck my CPU, is this true and if so should I overclock? (I do have a spare ram cooler, currently not installed). Should I also think about overclocking my CPU? Also my GPU is built to be overlocked but as my last one overheated and died I've only been running the current one at a normal core clock (900) however it can go up to 1100.

(On another note, I'm obsessed about Anti-Aliasing and always play on full if possible, which means my FPS can suffer every now and then)

Anyway that was my wall of text. I would appreciate any advice on overclocking any parts of my system and thank you to anyone who has gone out of there way to read over this topic. Cheers, Splinter.

Last edited:
You are bottlenecking the GPU with that CPU at stock, so yes.
You could have a massive FPS gain with a CPU overclock...

To be honest with a 7970 you really should be running an intel rig if you want to run stock

You are bottlenecking the GPU with that CPU at stock, so yes.
You could have a massive FPS gain with a CPU overclock...

To be honest with a 7970 you really should be running an intel rig if you want to run stock

Yes I was running a 6970 but Gigabyte actually sent me the newer model as a replacement when the 6970 died, lucky me ahah.

I agree with you though, running Intel would be optimal, but as that would cost about 600 dollars for a new mobo and cpu I have to stick with my current CPU for the time being.

But I will look into overclocking, I've heard that the 1100Ts can safely go to about 4.0GHz.

Thanks for the advice on this, would you have any suggestions on how I would go about overclocking my CPU? There's a thing in my AMD Vision Engine Controller that's supposed to be for overclocking but I remember trying it about a year ago and it just shut my computer down. Apart from that little experience I've never overclocked a CPU and have no idea where to start ahah. Thanks again.

Oh and I just wanted to add that although my GPU is supposed to come with a 1000MHz clock, it was set at 900 by default. I'm reluctant in changing this as I think Gigabyte might have done this to my card on purpose to prevent any problems that I had with the 6970 which died on me.

Last edited:
Quick update:

After watching some tutorials and realizing how simple overclocking is with this CPU and Motherboard, I overclocked it to 3.8GHz and ran OCCT for an hour and my maximum CPU temp was 44 which I hear is good! :D

I'm still a tiny bit worried about my memory as I kept doing touch tests on the top of the ram cards whilst I ran OCCT and I nearly burnt my self. So next week I might put my ram cooler back in and see if I can get my CPU to 4.0GHz whilst staying under a temp of 50.

Are you measuring the CPU core-temp or CPU-temp? Also..I never truly understood what we should be looking at, the CPU core or the cpu temp..because if we should be looking at the cpu temp..well my computer should have caught on fire already.

Ah ok I just figured this out. I was reading the core temp, although I checked my cpu temp through the bios (I was unable to find a third-party program that would read the cpu temp and not the core temp) and it was about 10 degrees higher than the core temp.

So if my Tj. Max is 81 degrees (Atleast this is what Core Temp tells me. I'm not even sure if AMDs have a Tj. Max) then what would be a dangerous temperature to hit for my actual cpu temp?

Last edited:
I'm wondering why your ram was running so hot? Are you overclocking the ram? Pics attached of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" would be helpful.

I'm wondering why your ram was running so hot? Are you overclocking the ram? Pics attached of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" would be helpful.

I haven't overclocked the RAM no, well not that I know of. The only thing I changed when overclocking the CPU was the CPU multiplier.

Note that these were taken during idle and the ram is supposedly 1333MHz.

Oh I'll also add that my RAM has always been fairly hot, It's why I put the RAM cooler in the case in the first place. I later took it out as I thought it was interfering with the airflow in the case.

CPU.jpg

1, 44c on the cores fairly good, 55c is about the max for cores :)

2, i can see you have Cool & Quite and C1E state turned on in the BIOS (that's why your CPU down clocks at idle), for a more stable overclock turn those off.

Also, go into Win 7 Power options and set it to high performance.

I haven't overclocked the RAM no, well not that I know of. The only thing I changed when overclocking the CPU was the CPU multiplier.

Note that these were taken during idle and the ram is supposedly 1333MHz.

CPU.jpg

1, 44c on the cores fairly good, 55c is about the max for cores :)

2, i can see you have Cool & Quite and C1E state turned on in the BIOS (that's why your CPU down clocks at idle), for a more stable overclock turn those off.

Also, go into Win 7 Power options and set it to high performance.

55 as the max is scary. I've been to 60 before when rendering movies (this was a while ago before I had overclocked at all). And I'm so shocked that it wasn't on high performance. I had no idea that whole setting arrangement existed for desktops. XD

Also if I put the CPU clock higher when on idle, won't that shorten it's life a fair bit?

Oh it looks like putting it into high performance put the core speed up to max anyway. I think it may have turned cool 'n' quiet off its self.

55 as the max is scary. I've been to 60 before when rendering movies (this was a while ago before I had overclocked at all). And I'm so shocked that it wasn't on high performance. I had no idea that whole setting arrangement existed for desktops. XD

Also if I put the CPU clock higher when on idle, won't that shorten it's life a fair bit?
55c for the in-CPU sensor is too hot. Real temperatures are around 55c + 15c for 70c...at the very most the core temperatures should be ~45-50c
The motherboard sensors too on new Gigabyte boards read 5-6c too low.

Most Phenom II series CPUs are rated for 61c.

Ahh ok. That makes sense. Man I'm reluctant to overclock any further now ahah.

I think 3.8 vs the stock 3.3 will give you a nice boost in games with your GPU :)

Yes I think It's a nice level to be at until I can match the GPU up with an Intel. :)

Thanks all for the help. I'll probably be posting on these forums again. :p

55c for the in-CPU sensor is too hot. Real temperatures are around 55c + 15c for 70c...at the very most the core temperatures should be ~45-50c
The motherboard sensors too on new Gigabyte boards read 5-6c too low.

Most Phenom II series CPUs are rated for 61c.

Your quite wrong about that, 45 -50 is not they max temp for the cores, not even close. i ran a 9 hour full blend test with cores way higher than that, the Core temps are higher than that at default settings with the stock cooler, yet they run for 6 of 7 years like that.

AMD's recommended max temp is 70c, what they put on the box (62c) is to cover there backsides, even then some noobs have them running at over 70c on the stock cooler for many years

the core temps depend on the quality of the cooler you have sitting over the DIE where those sensors are, on the stock cooler they are much higher and very much closer to the socket temps sensor.

Its once you use more effective cooling that the gap between the DIE and socket grows, from as much as 2c to 20c

As long as you keep either one under 70c its fine.

Last edited:
Back