• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i return it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Synn21588

Registered
Picked up an fx 8320 yesterday and didn't waste any time OCing it. What I've come up with is 4.51ghz stable at 1.48v VCORE. Temps never get higher than 35°C with my AIO.
Question is, should i take this thing back and roll another dice in the Silicon lottery for a better 8320, maybe even an 8350??

Not a chance E_D !
OP the chip works just fine, if you want to sell it and buy another then go ahead but it's not broken. If you wanted a better chance at an OC you should have bought a higher binned chip like the 8370. But you took your chance in the lottery with the 8320 and ended up with a less than stellar sample. That's not the seller/manufacturers fault. There are no guarantees of performance past stock.

Picked up an fx 8320 yesterday and didn't waste any time OCing it. What I've come up with is 4.51ghz stable at 1.48v VCORE. Temps never get higher than 35°C with my AIO.
Question is, should i take this thing back and roll another dice in the Silicon lottery for a better 8320, maybe even an 8350??

You have a FX-8320 3.5GHZ stock speed running at 4.51GHZ with a temp of 35c, that is at 100% load right? If so then I say you won the lottery and leave it as is.

We need information!!!!!!!!!
Motherboard as per Atmin for starters.
What have you stress tested the Oc with?
35c on what sensor?
What AIO cooler?

I will also add with my 8350 at 1.46 v on a full custom loop "see signature" cooling just my cpu with 22c ambient temps my 8350 will run 51 on the cpu and 44c on the package running prime blend. I have my doubts about 35c with 1.48 V.

I'll add that i was using HWMonitor and citing TMPIN 0 temps when i aid 35°c

OK we're just saying that had to be at idle, not under load.

Aye, at load. Idle reads 23°c

What I've come up with is 4.51ghz stable at 1.48v VCORE

These two quotes just don't go together.
Can you show us some pics of HWMonitor while it's under load with P95? CPUz shots as well. Cause something must be getting lost here. 1.5v on an FX does not equal 35°c unless your AIO is in the freezer

It would help to know the mobo as well... You could just put in a signature like I have and most of these questions will be resolved. We are all having issues with those temp numbers cause they are amazingly low for that speed and voltage. Quite possibly that you have a crazy amazing chip. Another thing you could try is running AMD overdrive to see the thermal headroom (this calculates thermal distance from max temp, which is 70c)

Board is a MSI 970 Gaming. With AMD OD the thermal margin dips down to 26°c under load and is around 44°c at idle. I'd love to post pics except that I've pulled the CPU and boxed it back up for return. Tests used are OCCT and P95. Both large and small FFTs.

- - - Updated - - -

My cooler is a Lepa AquaChanger 240 with the fans swapped for SP 120 high performance

- - - Updated - - -

Also worth noting is that AMD OD shows the VCORE to be significantly lower than BIOS

Why are you returning a perfectly functional chip again? I hope wherever you got it from has a no questions asked policy, otherwise, you will have to lie to return it (not something most here support - silicon lottery is silicon lottery).

Why are you returning a perfectly functional chip again? I hope wherever you got it from has a no questions asked policy, otherwise, you will have to lie to return it (not something most here support - silicon lottery is silicon lottery).

I was actually considering going to an 8320e , 8370e, or 8350.

Board is a MSI 970 Gaming. With AMD OD the thermal margin dips down to 26°c under load and is around 44°c at idle. I'd love to post pics except that I've pulled the CPU and boxed it back up for return. Tests used are OCCT and P95. Both large and small FFTs.

- - - Updated - - -

My cooler is a Lepa AquaChanger 240 with the fans swapped for SP 120 high performance

- - - Updated - - -

Also worth noting is that AMD OD shows the VCORE to be significantly lower than BIOS

The MSI 970 gaming does not have LLC options, if you were to watch your vcore before and after load you would see vdroop. My assumption is this is why the cores are failing in p95. They are getting too little voltage for those speeds. AOD is showing a much better idea of your temps.

The CPU is fine, yet do what you want, I'm not the moral police. If you want to return something, I'd suggest the board, as the board is your limiting factor due to a lack of LLC.

I see you're using AMD OD, thermal margin and not a temp reading. That makes a bit more sense to me now. If you have all voltage/LLC etc.. on auto then it's hard to tell exactly what you actually need to run 4.5. You might be overvolting or have extreme V_droop under load which wouldn't surprise me with that motherboard. MSI and FX chips don't get along very well

The CPU is fine, yet do what you want, I'm not the moral police. If you want to return something, I'd suggest the board, as the board is your limiting factor due to a lack of LLC.

This right here ^^^
Also returning perfectly good products hurts all consumers in the end

I have noticed vdroop but not a whole lot, 0.01 or so

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know that i can return the board, may be passed the 30 day mark and as much money as I've dumped into upgrades recently, i think my wife would kill me if i bought a new board

Back