• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i return it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think my wife would kill me if i bought a new board

My Strix 980 Ti cost more then my wife's car and i guarantee you she wasn't happy but a box of chocolates + roses + romantic dinner will help... somewhat...

Trust these guys, get the motherboard instead.

That's too bad, most who have similar boards either kill it or replace it in time. Just hope it doesn't take the CPU if it does die.

That's too bad, most who have similar boards either kill it or replace it in time. Just hope it doesn't take the CPU if it does die.

I may be in luck actually, need to get home and pull the receipt to verify. Suggestions on boards? I'm not looking to super crazy, this is intended to be a gaming rig.

Board is a MSI 970 Gaming. With AMD OD the thermal margin dips down to 26°c under load and is around 44°c at idle. I'd love to post pics except that I've pulled the CPU and boxed it back up for return. Tests used are OCCT and P95. Both large and small FFTs.

- - - Updated - - -

My cooler is a Lepa AquaChanger 240 with the fans swapped for SP 120 high performance

- - - Updated - - -

Also worth noting is that AMD OD shows the VCORE to be significantly lower than BIOS

In AMD OD Thermal margin is how much more you have till you reach mac temp. AKA...if the max temp is 72C and it shows your margin at 26C then you CPU is at 46C.
Also keep in mind that FX chips DO NOT report correct temp till above 40C

In AMD OD Thermal margin is how much more you have till you reach mac temp. AKA...if the max temp is 72C and it shows your margin at 26C then you CPU is at 46C.
Also keep in mind that FX chips DO NOT report correct temp till above 40C

Even still, 46 is pretty good under 100% load at 1.48v. I read that as well about AMD processors which is why i started monitoring thermal margin

- - - Updated - - -

How about you give us a budget and we give you boards in that range, it'll be much easier than an all-encompassing list of good boards.
Maybe $150? Preferably less, obviously.

Saber kitty if you can afford it. For cheap (IE you are still limiting yourself the gigabyte 970-ud3p does ok, my board is decent as well, but the sabertooth is better. Depends where you buy TBH (sales, etc).

I could pick this 990fx killer with a fx8320e for 150$ right now, so just trying to see if that's a good deal and if i can get a decent OC with that combo

Really don't know. Never heard much about that combo. I got my board and CPU at microcenter as well, but it was like $240

Everything I've read says the 8320e overclocks fantastically due to 95w tdp and only 300mhz under the 8320.

Could also pickup an openbox sabertooth for just under $80 when i get a processor with it.....

Everything I've read says the 8320e overclocks fantastically due to 95w tdp and only 300mhz under the 8320.

Could also pickup an openbox sabertooth for just under $80 when i get a processor with it.....

It clocks roughly the same as a 8320/8350. It's just down-clocked for efficiency.

It's still the chip lottery, and further more, its binned for being somewhat efficient at lower clocks.

Back