• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i switch out this amd for a ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumbfish

i got this computer it was $3 anyway it has a k5 pr133
should i switch it out for a pentium 166?

p.s. this post is a real question (not trying to start a amd vs intel (back in the day) debate)

Absolutely use the the pentium. I had a graph somewheres that showed processor features... Can't find it... but no matter, just use the pentium. It's faster (cycle speed), and it's got more features (fact, not fanfare).

BTW, what ya gonna use it for?

Ive got a P1 166 nicely overclocked to 75mhzfsbx2.5 but honestly if you want true performance see if the board will accept a 500mhz K6-2 from Newegg or even look for a Pentium Pro, Pentium Pros have the highest benchmarks of the pentiums plus with a little OC you might even be a little impressed.

BTW I also have a K5-Pr133 big clunky piece of metal thats for sure. Gotta love it only 100mhz but performance of a 133... AMD lives up to their name =)

Try the p166. Most p166 can be oc'ed to 200 and beyond without a problem. Keeping it cool is also no problem. I have a old mobo that i managed to fit my old xp2000 cooler to. The p166(non-mmx) doesn't make to cooler hot at all. I mean the sink stays at roomtemp.

ok i'll see if i can get it up to 200mhz i really think that is the highest processor that this board will take though.and it lets me change the multi.
im going to sell the computer for like 30$ if i can.other wise i dont know what to do with it.

You may be able to slap a k6-2 in there. I had an old PC with a Pentium 233(max supported was 200, but 66x1.5=233 for some odd reason), and I came across a k6-3 450. It ran at 66x2.5(400mhz for some reason) for years until my father fried it when a power cable touched the motherboard.

Yuriman said:
You may be able to slap a k6-2 in there. I had an old PC with a Pentium 233(max supported was 200, but 66x1.5=233 for some odd reason), and I came across a k6-3 450. It ran at 66x2.5(400mhz for some reason) for years until my father fried it when a power cable touched the motherboard.

1.5 works as 3.5 and 2.5 works as 6 so there's no odd reason at all. :)

To rilian:pentium pro is socket 8 so no reason for him to go look for one as we're dealing with socket 7.

I don't think you have super socket 7 so k6-2s may be out of the question.

Older boxes like those make grand ftp servers for internet use. They also make great jukeboxes, network backup systems, ghost servers, routers, etc etc etc.

Coyote linux is a really good free distro of linux that fits on a floppy and is a fully functional router.

it is just a socket 7
vxpro pc82c371usb
elpina v5.2
pr75-166
if you guys think it will take a k6 i will buy one

i really feel like a DUMBfish i just talked a friend into buying just the tower for $30.then i bought a mixed bag of parts and got a cyrix 200.but the thing is the bios have a choice for 66 or 100 bus.earlier a friend told me if it takes a 100 bus it has to be a super 7.and i was reading the if the bus options are in the bios and not on the jumpers that its a super 7 and if its a super 7 i should have bought the k6-2 and sold the pc for like 75$

but now im sorta locked in and i got like 15$ in junk chips.

Back