• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I try mining?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am trying. Read it multiple times. Still having trouble, but I'm working through it during the little time I have.

I am trying. Read it multiple times. Still having trouble, but I'm working through it during the little time I have.

do ask directly, we dont mind

step 1, get wallet, recomend exodus for multi coins (link in getting started)
step 2, get pool, recommend https://ethermine.org
step 3, get miner, you did that
step 4, setup miner .. this gets a bit tricky, but not that difficult, the miner comes with a bat file which is usually preconfigured too, you just need to edit and replace the wallet address and pool address
step 5, config card, simple with any tool like afterburner, just adjust the core, memory and power limit
step 6, start mining :)

I will give it a shot - will probably be this weekend before I have much time to mess with it. Sounds like I'm losing money every day! lol

I will give it a shot - will probably be this weekend before I have much time to mess with it. Sounds like I'm losing money every day! lol

:)) sounds good, if something drop a line here

I would add to step 5 to manually set fans. On auto, the memory can get hot and throw errors.

I have a question on the .bat file. Mine does not start the miner. I get an error stating phoenixminer.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operational program, or batch file. Then it pauses waiting for you to kill the CMD window. I've been using the config file for the last few weeks and it is working well, but this does not set the allocation size, heap size, etc. Is there something I'm missing?

I would add to step 5 to manually set fans. On auto, the memory can get hot and throw errors.

I have a question on the .bat file. Mine does not start the miner. I get an error stating phoenixminer.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operational program, or batch file. Then it pauses waiting for you to kill the CMD window. I've been using the config file for the last few weeks and it is working well, but this does not set the allocation size, heap size, etc. Is there something I'm missing?

good point! I forgot that one

to set the allocs you gotta run it as admin, but if u do that, then it doesnt find phoenix as admin starts at system folder :)) what I do is I start a cmd as admin, then go to the bat location and run it
but technically you just need to do that once, if you have older cards and need straps .. then you gotta do it every time :(

Just for clarification, instead of starting the .bat as admin in Windows, you are saying to open a CMD as admin and running the .bat from the CMD?

If the bat contents refers/points directly to the exe you should just be able to right click run as admin on the bat file.

Another issue I have encountered was antivirus quarantining the .exe file.

Another issue I have encountered was antivirus quarantining the .exe file.

well yes, I touched on that earlier, you need to create an exception, avir soft will quarantine any miner, its due to unauthorized mining on corporate PCs, not actual virus-like behavior

Yeah so I like read that earlier, then forgot I read that, read the most recent posts and posted. LOL forgot you posted that.

Ok.... some questions.

I set up a wallet, Exodus. I figured out through some Google searches how to get my wallet key or address or whatever it is. It exported to an Excel file, but it sent 2 addresses. More searching, looks like it made a regular and a change address? I used the first of the two for my address.

Watching this video on YT helped me figure out how to set some things up.

I made a bat file to set my environmental variables and executed that. It opened a CMD window and ran through those so quick I can't see it, but I'm assuming it set my variables as desired and those are now set and unchanged unless I manually change them - which it doesn't sound like there's any reason for me to do so.

Next I edited the config file. I created a line like this:

"C:\DOWNLOADS\Crypto\PhoenixMiner\PhoenixMiner.exe" -pool us1.ethermine.org:4444 -pool2 us2.ethermine.org:4444 -wal XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.Leviathan

When I click on the PhoenixMiner executable, it seems to flash to do something, but that's it. I try right-click and Run as Administrator, confirm to allow it to make changes, nothing happens.

I tried various permutations in my pool variables from changing the ports to from 4444 to 14444 and tried both pools with http:// and with https:// in front of them, as well as with the pause command in place or removed. I think having the .Leviathan at the end is just naming my worker, right? So if I look on a dashboard somewhere to see my operations, it will be named and I can identify it?

Where am I going wrong? I can't get it to actually start.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

<edit> I went and also added -pass to my config file and tried those same variations, as well as the same thing with -pass x

Still nothing.

Last edited:
Ok.... some questions.

I set up a wallet, Exodus. I figured out through some Google searches how to get my wallet key or address or whatever it is. It exported to an Excel file, but it sent 2 addresses. More searching, looks like it made a regular and a change address? I used the first of the two for my address.

Watching this video on YT helped me figure out how to set some things up.

I made a bat file to set my environmental variables and executed that. It opened a CMD window and ran through those so quick I can't see it, but I'm assuming it set my variables as desired and those are now set and unchanged unless I manually change them - which it doesn't sound like there's any reason for me to do so.

Next I edited the config file. I created a line like this:

"C:\DOWNLOADS\Crypto\PhoenixMiner\PhoenixMiner.exe" -pool us1.ethermine.org:4444 -pool2 us2.ethermine.org:4444 -wal XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.Leviathan

When I click on the PhoenixMiner executable, it seems to flash to do something, but that's it. I try right-click and Run as Administrator, confirm to allow it to make changes, nothing happens.

I tried various permutations in my pool variables from changing the ports to from 4444 to 14444 and tried both ports with http:// and with https:// in front of them, as well as with the pause command in place or removed. I think having the .Leviathan at the end is just naming my worker, right? So if I look on a dashboard somewhere to see my operations, it will be named and I can identify it?

Where am I going wrong? I can't get it to actually start.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

try opening a cmd without anything (windows key + R, type cmd) then go to your path with "cd C:\DOWNLOADS\Crypto\PhoenixMiner" then just execute phoenix see if its alive

this is how my bat file looks:

REM
REM Example bat file for starting PhoenixMiner.exe to mine ETH
REM

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

REM IMPORTANT: Replace the ETH address with your own ETH wallet address in the -wal option (Rig001 is the name of the rig)
PhoenixMiner.exe -pool ssl://eu1.ethermine.org:5555 -pool2 ssl://us1.ethermine.org:5555 -wal address.worker
pause

Ok so here is what I get in my CMD:

C:\DOWNLOADS\Crypto\PhoenixMiner>PhoenixMiner.exe
Phoenix Miner 5.5c Windows/msvc - Release build
-----------------------------------------------

Invalid option: "C:\DOWNLOADS\Crypto\PhoenixMiner\PhoenixMiner.exe"

Ok so here is what I get in my CMD:

C:\DOWNLOADS\Crypto\PhoenixMiner>PhoenixMiner.exe
Phoenix Miner 5.5c Windows/msvc - Release build
-----------------------------------------------

Invalid option: "C:\DOWNLOADS\Crypto\PhoenixMiner\PhoenixMiner.exe"

great, means it works :) now setup a bat similar to mine, dont bother with the full path, you dont need to run it as admin every time, and when you run it as a regular user, as long as the bat is in the same folder as the exe, it will run just fine

Okok, I did it throught my bat file like you did and I get it popping up and trying to connect, but it is failing. But I can work on that, at least it's DOING something now!

Okok, I did it throught my bat file like you did and I get it popping up and trying to connect, but it is failing. But I can work on that, at least it's DOING something now!

failing to connect to what ? whats it say ?

oh swap EU and US with places, mines set to try EU first (me being in EU :) )

Back