• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I try mining?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is telling me invalid use provided. Hrrrmmmm....

So does that mean I'm using the wrong wallet address?

Ok, I was using the wrong address. Now I am in, and I am mining! W00T!

Have to run to dinner with the family, I'll check back in in a couple hours, prolly.

Oh, and I'm getting about 105MH/s right now.

Hmmmm, I still think you are using the wrong address. I don't see any ETH getting deposited into my account. I will PM you instructions on how to fix it ;)

Seriously, it isn't that hard to do. Good job. Now you'll have a few extra hundred in your pocket every month.

Hmmmm, I still think you are using the wrong address. I don't see any ETH getting deposited into my account. I will PM you instructions on how to fix it ;)

Seriously, it isn't that hard to do. Good job. Now you'll have a few extra hundred in your pocket every month.

well why would u see it in your account ? :D
he got the addy from exodus, im sure its correct this time around

Yeah it's mining. I'm not understanding everything just yet....

I'm following along on Ethermine dashboard and I see my hash rate jumping all around.

I've got my card adjusted a little bit, but I don't know how to really "maximize" it, other than trying to pump memory speed and cut GPU speed a little bit. I don't get the difference between "reported hashrate" and "current hashrate". I see the average, which is under 100 for me right now and I don't get it. Reported hashrate at times is as low as the 70s. For instance, at one point I had a current hashrate of 74.778 and a reported hashrate of 104.112. At the moment it shows it reversed to 103 reported and 104 current.

Can someone tell me what these differences mean?

As for tweaking my card... I put in differences in memory speed in Afterburner and it doesn't seem to do much, looking in X1 it always shows the same, but I don't see much change in production - certainly nowhere near the 120MH/s predictively possible, but I've dialed my power limit down and it's reporting usage under 300W, which is good. GDDR6 temps showing around 98ºC in HWInfo64, which should be under the concerning zone.

Yeah it's mining. I'm not understanding everything just yet....

I'm following along on Ethermine dashboard and I see my hash rate jumping all around.

I've got my card adjusted a little bit, but I don't know how to really "maximize" it, other than trying to pump memory speed and cut GPU speed a little bit. I don't get the difference between "reported hashrate" and "current hashrate". I see the average, which is under 100 for me right now and I don't get it. Reported hashrate at times is as low as the 70s. For instance, at one point I had a current hashrate of 74.778 and a reported hashrate of 104.112. At the moment it shows it reversed to 103 reported and 104 current.

Can someone tell me what these differences mean?

As for tweaking my card... I put in differences in memory speed in Afterburner and it doesn't seem to do much, looking in X1 it always shows the same, but I don't see much change in production - certainly nowhere near the 120MH/s predictively possible, but I've dialed my power limit down and it's reporting usage under 300W, which is good. GDDR6 temps showing around 98ºC in HWInfo64, which should be under the concerning zone.

1. you are throttling, thats why not @ 120mhs, 98C aint good, I try to keep all my cards under 90 for RAM, actually mid-80s ideally
theoretical max is 105, but you dont wanna run near the max and nvidia takes care of that by implementing throttling
you need better cooling, or to pull the card out of the box (riser-way)

2. reported hash is what your miner does and tells the pool
current is calculated based on submitted shares
average is the avg of the current over some time
hope that was clear lol :)

what you care about is that reported is constant and that average is not more than 10% off the reported, current can fluctuate like crazy though

Ok, so I've got good airflow and my case is opened up. That 98C (actually 100 now) is the Memory Junction Temperature, which is the inside of the memory chip. I was given to understand this is expected to be quite a bit higher, are you saying your memory junction temperature is in the mid-80s? Should I turn down RAM speed?

Ok, so I've got good airflow and my case is opened up. That 98C (actually 100 now) is the Memory Junction Temperature, which is the inside of the memory chip. I was given to understand this is expected to be quite a bit higher, are you saying your memory junction temperature is in the mid-80s? Should I turn down RAM speed?

yes, but I keep my cards in a self-made rack with plenty of airflow :)

20210302_183741.jpg

you can try ramping up the fans, see how it behaves, also get hwinfo and look for thermal throttling indicator, ti actually tells you when you card thinks its overheating

I've upped the fans to 100% and lowered memory speed - hash rate is up into the mid 110s, it was close to 120 before cutting memory speed to +1000 (I was at +1500). The Memory Junction Temperature is showing 96 now, it goes back and forth between 96 and 98, but the hoverover popup graphic says throttling starts at 110C. I don't see any place where it tells me it is throttling.

I've upped the fans to 100% and lowered memory speed - hash rate is up into the mid 110s, it was close to 120 before cutting memory speed to +1000 (I was at +1500). The Memory Junction Temperature is showing 96 now, it goes back and forth between 96 and 98, but the hoverover popup graphic says throttling starts at 110C. I don't see any place where it tells me it is throttling.

I dont have your card so its a bit difficult for me .. did you try the settings Red Panda showed in his video that I linked a while ago ? this one

Can you mine behind a proxy like a VPN? Should I be doing that?

I have an annual VPN membership already.

Can you mine behind a proxy like a VPN? Should I be doing that?

I have an annual VPN membership already.

sure, but why bother
if you just use the SSL port for the pool, no one will be able to open your traffic anyway
but even if, you're not pushing TH of hash to worry :)

I just don't know much about the security of all this, so I am covering the bases.

Back