• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i upgrade? 2500k to 6600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeonCancerCandy

Upgrade 2500k? [Yes -Parts ordered]

Current specs in sig

would be upgrading

i5 6600k (i would likely overclock it to 4.5ghz or so)
ddr4 ram, 16gb 2800 gskill ripjaws v series 15-15-15-35
asrock extreme4 z170 mobo
h80i cooler (mostly because my h55 is like 3 years old now and i want to replace it)

total cost: $598

my current uses:
CPU intensive gaming (i no-life a mmorpg that's heavily cpu dependent) (i'm a house wife, this is my vice lol)
normal stuff like internet/watching video/listening to music
benchmarking just for bragging rights, nothing serious

current complaints on performance:
none really, though i worry my cpu is degrading. i've been running at 4.5ghz @ 1.368v for 3 years now with an average of 10 hours per day of cpu intensive tasks

financial situation:
normally very tight, but i have a bit of play money now. this is a very rare occasion.
i could hold onto this money and upgrade at the next generation as well. I feel a bit impatient to upgrade though.
also i could sell the current sandy bridge setup to get some of that money back

bottom line:
talk me out of upgrading?
talk me into upgrading?
opinions?

Last edited:
It's worth it from that generation and earlier according to anandtech...

Def. sell that stuff to get more back.

That said, grab ddr4 2800 cl15. Why get ddr3 speeds with higher latency? ;)

Depends on if you would think the slight performance increase would be worth $600. Also if you don't have windows 10 you would have to upgrade that as well if i'm not mistaken. The 2500k is still a very capable CPU.

It's worth it from that generation and earlier according to anandtech...

Def. sell that stuff to get more back.

That said, grab ddr4 2800 cl15. Why get ddr3 speeds with higher latency? ;)

oh good call on the ram. switch that out to ripjaws v series 2800 then

Depends on if you would think the slight performance increase would be worth $600. Also if you don't have windows 10 you would have to upgrade that as well if i'm not mistaken. The 2500k is still a very capable CPU.

i have windows 10

interesting. so they are saying a 25% increase...
i was looking up some benchamarks earlier 4.5ghz sandy vs 4.5ghz sky and the difference looked to be closer to 60-75% speed increases

i could get caught up in the "waiting for the next bigger thing and never upgrade" mentality but what can i say, i like new and shiny things.
just need some help deciding

Last edited:
60%-75% increase? No way, not across the board anyway. Maybe on some isolated benchmarks. You can pretty much count on 5-10% improvement with each new generation of CPUs.

60%-75% increase? No way, not across the board anyway. Maybe on some isolated benchmarks. You can pretty much count on 5-10% improvement with each new generation of CPUs.

If you figure that the 2500K is like 5 generations old now, even if you just add the percentage up, that's 25-50%. If you do the actual math, You're looking at more like 30-65%.

The ram won't make much of a difference. Ram was never really a bottleneck, so more bandwidth, if it isn't used, doesn't translate to better performance.

That review I posted goes over the architecture, give it a full read. :)

Get this cooler while it's on sale, vastly superior to the Corsair

http://www.swiftech.com/H140-X.aspx

i dont have a 140mm fan slot only 120s
i have a duel 120 slot at the top for something like an h100 but not enough space between the top of the case and the mobo to fit fans+rad

i could mod the case so i could do like...

Rad
Case wall
Fans

and cut an area into the case for the piping to go through but i was worried the wall betwen the fans/rad would lose all the static pressure and wouldn't cool very well.

Maybe you could stick with your current cooler temporarily then, once you sell the 1155 stuff, get a case and a truly good cooler.

Maybe you could stick with your current cooler temporarily then, once you sell the 1155 stuff, get a case and a truly good cooler.

how does skylake compare to sandy on temps?
this h55 is more than enough for my sandy at 4.5 even under ITB i max out at 78-81*c
during my heavy gaming it stays 48-53*

Skylake runs a tad warmer, but it shouldn't have any issues.

It won't take long to move 2500K combo with 16GB of RAM though, that's for sure.

Skylake runs a tad warmer, but it shouldn't have any issues.

It won't take long to move 2500K combo with 16GB of RAM though, that's for sure.

well my ram is 2 different types.
2x 4gb sticks of g.skill sniper
2x 4gb sticks of corsair vengence

how much do you think that setup is worth?
the mobo is only like 6 months old (open box newegg purchase)
cpu is like 3 years ran at 4.5 it's whole life 1.368v but i think that is it's limit, i couldn't push it any higher.
ram same age, never overclocked

if i was to replace the tower i'd get a fractual arc midi R2

If you figure that the 2500K is like 5 generations old now, even if you just add the percentage up, that's 25-50%. If you do the actual math, You're looking at more like 30-65%.
Clock for clock it's 25% Sandy Bridge, Your Time Is Up.

A large number of users invested into Intel based platforms during the Core 2 Quad, Nehalem and Sandy Bridge releases. Sandy Bridge was notable because it inferred a large performance gain at stock speeds, and with a good processor anyone could reach 4.7 GHz and even higher using a good high end cooler. With that, Intel has had a problem enticing these users to upgrade because their performance has been constantly matched by Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Broadwell – for every 5% IPC increase from the CPU, an average 200 MHz was lost on the good overclock and they would have to find a good overclocking CPU again. There was no great reason, apart from chipset functionality to upgrade.

That changes with Skylake.

From a clock-to-clock performance perspective, Skylake gives an average ~25% better performance in CPU based benchmarks, and when running both generations of processors at their stock speeds that increase jumps up to 37%. In specific tests, it is even higher.http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/23

That was my point, wingman. Time for an upgrade, indeed. That's a substantial jump.

I was only pointing out that OP's initial take wasn't too far off, though a little optimistic.

Back