• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E-Ninja

Registered
I'm debating on selling my asus Maximus extreme z and intel i7 2700k and picking up the 990fx saber tooth with a fx 8150

Thoughts?

Well. Don't get me wrong. It's great for everything. But to future proof. I'd like to have something with more cores.

I understand in gaming it will still behave like a 4 core.
I understand the i7 series is awesome for gaming.

My dilemma is. Wait for pile driver. Or get a bd because win7 isn't/ wasn't ready for bulldozer.

Seriously? Besides being a DOWNGRADE, I don't even understand why you would think of this. The i7 is a better machine in every single way. Despite BD have theoretically more cores, the i7 will beat it in everything.

Unless you need the money, keep your i7 and know that you have a better computer than anything AMD right now.

Last edited:
Probably gonna def get the bd replacement though, piledriver. I hope ivy bridge comes out with a good six core

This would be a huge step down, and an all around bad decision. That being said, I'll trade you straight up for my rig. It'll crush BD in single thread, and competes or beats it on multithreaded applications. lol

This would be a huge step down, and an all around bad decision. That being said, I'll trade you straight up for my rig. It'll crush BD in single thread, and competes or beats it on multithreaded applications. lol

Lol. If its a 1090T I'm good. Lol. I want future proof not the old technology

Its a step down essentially. Heck no I wouldnt do that.

W8 showed little improvements with BD. Dont hinge your hopes on marketing BS.

Lol. If its a 1090T I'm good. Lol. I want future proof not the old technology

Ha, that was my entire point. If my Phenom II X6 beats an 8150 in most things, why would you spend money on getting one? You have a setup which doesn't just slightly edge out over a PII or BD, it dominates it, rapes and pillages its family, and burns their houses down just out of spite.

Having said that, they are excellent set ups that cost a WHOLE lot less than an intel rig. That's why I built mine - it's super powerful, and saved me a lot of money. I have no idea how good piledriver will actually be, but people estimate 10-15 percent at most over AMD's current line up. That would STILL be below your i7.

You are in the AMD forum, with a bunch of dudes who love AMD chips, who are advising you NOT to do it. I don't really know what else to say. If you can afford it, I guess go for it.

I'm debating on selling my asus Maximus extreme z and intel i7 2700k and picking up the 990fx saber tooth with a fx 8150

Thoughts?

As much as I love my Bulldozer, and as much of a fan of AMD I am, I have to ask, what do you think you are doing? :shrug:

Back