• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should my pump be this loud?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it's running at full speed, you will easily be able to hear it from 15 feet away even if it's properly decoupled. I see virtually no temp difference keeping mine at 30% with 2 blocks and two radiators. If you aren't running an intense loop you will want to slow it down, even 50% is overkill for a simple 2 block loop.

If you don't have it properly decoupled you can get harmonic vibrations at pretty much any speed. I had mine hard mounted to a radiator for a bit and I could hear it clearly even at minimum speed.

It's not a big loop at all, If the pump has to way to change the speed on it can I do it with a program? The pump is connected to my motherbord in a cha-fan spot as the cord could not reach the cpu fan header.

Edit: kinda answered my own question.
Variable speed control via PWM thru the motherboard.

It's not a big loop at all, If the pump has to way to change the speed on it can I do it with a program? The pump is connected to my motherbord in a cha-fan spot as the cord could not reach the cpu fan header.

Edit: kinda answered my own question.
Variable speed control via PWM thru the motherboard.

Yup, and needs to be controlled via BIOS or MB software in Windows.

Also in most cases, the only PWM control is the CPU header so chances are you'll need it connected to that header to get full control otherwise it will run at 100% speed if there's no PWM signal present.

Yep, pwm is the ticket. With my asus board I can control mine either with the bios or a windows program. Yours may have something similar, though some motherboards leave a lot to be desired in the fan control department.

Oh my bad I must have looked over your last post. I didn't realize that as I had an option for every CHA-Fan in my motherboard to change the RPM's it just didnt seem to work. Guess it's back to the store for a extension cable. Thanks for the info

Again, it needs to be connected to the primary CPU PWM header for control.

Use a PWM cable extension if it can't reach.

Yep, pwm is the ticket. With my asus board I can control mine either with the bios or a windows program. Yours may have something similar, though some motherboards leave a lot to be desired in the fan control department.

I hate to be a bother but I can plug a fan into a cha_fan spot and control the speed. shouldn't I be able to with the pump as well? I already order a PWM Cable extension, just messing around. motherboard = ROG maximus v formula just in case it matters

I hate to be a bother but I can plug a fan into a cha_fan spot and control the speed. shouldn't I be able to with the pump as well? I already order a PWM Cable extension, just messing around. motherboard = ROG maximus v formula just in case it matters

Most things are still controlled by voltage which that "cha_fan" header is, to control say a NON-PWM fan or pump. The CPU fan header has both PWM and Voltage control. The other headers only have voltage control in most cases. This is why your pump being PWM, doesn't respond to anything because its not installed on a PWM header which in your case is the CPU fan header.

Back