• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shuttle AN35n ultra 400 compatiable w/DDR466

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome to the Forums!

I don't think it will recognize it running Auto settings but if you set BIOS to 200FSB or higher with some PC3200 and use Expert settings then save, shut down and stick the DDR466 in, you should be fine. Then you can start raising the FSB higher and see if it will run stable.

My AN35N will run 220FSB\440DDR no problem and I have friends with Corsair XMS and Mushkin that can run theirs @230FSB\460DDR so I would think its possible if they'll run that speed on the 2.7V VDimm available.

Regards, Balrog

thanks for the info balrog, if i run into any problems i know what to try now :)
i'll let you know what happens when i get the ram tommorow. (btw the memory is Corsair XMS 3700)

Set timings to 11-3-3-2.5 with your current RAM and Save to CMOS, as this board doesn't like to initially boot on CAS 2.0 settings at a high FSB. After you've inserted the new sticks and got it running @CAS2.5 I'd burn them in for awhile with Memtest & Prime before trying to run them @CAS2.0 over a 200FSB, this board loves CAS2.5 but isn't fond of CAS2.0 or 3.0 when running fast.

Good Luck!

Regards, Balrog

balrog i was wondering if you could clear up these timings that are on the corsair 3700 (3-4-4-8) for some reason i thought this memory was cas 2? but i think it's actually cas 3 if thats what the first number represents although im not sure because i've seen the cas number at the end of the timings before. sorry all of these memory timings are new to me. this is my first attempt at an overclocked system, XP-M 2600+ hoping to at least get a 3200+ or more out of it.

oh and in regards to your last post, if my an35n dosen't like to boot into cas 2 initially, and this stuff is perhaps cas 3 do you think it will boot with the pc3700 initially then? if i use the settings you suggested?

thanks again for your time,

melchie :D

Yeah the newer RAM has looser timings, thats one of the ways they get it to run those speeds & Yup that Corsair is CAS3 rated @DDR466 speeds, it'll most likely run DDR466 @CAS2.5 after a good burn-in.

XP2600+ Mobile will have no problem running XP3200+ speeds, more like 2.5-2.6Ghz and higher.

I'd set your rig to the Expert & 11-3-3-2.5 timings @166 or 200FSB and save and shutdown, then pop in the new DDR466 sticks and fire it up. The new sticks will then be running which ever FSB you choose and the 11-3-3-2.5 timings and should boot with no problems. Then you can start messing with OCing and settings & timings.

Remember to use Memtest, Prime & Sandra to check for stabiltiy and MBM5 to monitor your system specs. Make sure you have a good HSF as things are going to get a little bit warm for a stock one.

Regards, Balrog

ok everything seems to be fine, i started at 166fsb x 11, got windows running solid, I ran memtest for 3 hours and no problems. with the settings above Mbm5 shows my cpu at 89(F)
with the default vcore on my XP-M2600+ (Using the Vantec TMD Aeroflow on my CPU)

I was curious as to what i should try next? im going to let memtest run over night at least 8 hours.

How should i go about upping the FSB and what vcore settings should i use as my cpu increases? i dont plan on going higher than 2.2ghz for a few weeks to let things burn in.

thanks, melchie

Since you're beginning at 166FSB I'd start by lowering the multi to 10x & start upping the FSB by steps of 5. After each step run 2 loops of Memtest & 1/2hr of Prime, if you don't get any errors try another 5, if you do get errors try a extra dose of VCore and test again. I'd keep going until you get to 1.750V Vcore and see how high your CPU will run. When you get to 233FSB\466DDR you'll be running 2.33Ghz which shouldn't be a problem for a Mobile.

Then drop FSB back to 166 and start upping the muti in steps of 1X and run the same tests and give it a bit more VCore should you get errors.

I'd leave the memory set Auto VDimm w\11-3-3-2.5 timings

Watch your temps, if everything seems OK what I use to do was run Memtest all night & Prime all day tyo help burn everything in, after 2 weeks of that you should be pretty well set.

As you have a Mobile I'd also talk to sQUiRLy over at the Shuttle Forum as he's been running a M2600+ @2.6-2.7Ghz for a bit now and may have further advice on tweaking them.

Good Luck!

Regards, Balrog

Last edited:
Ok i have the system running stable at 2.2GHz w/ 220fsbx10 with a 1.65vcore. cpu at idle is runs about 102-105(F) or about 40-42(C)
Im using cas 3 - 4 - 4 - 8 on my memory atm.
what i would like to know is, what does the term tighter timings mean? and what are some examples to help me better understand a tighter timing compaired to a loose timing.

thanks again

Melch

Good Job! - 220FSB X 10 is my "daily driver" setting, plenty powerful enough for everything yet cool and quiet with fans on low.

Anything lower than 3 or 4 or 4 or 8 would be tighter anything higher would be looser. I run 2.5-3-3-11 as the nForce boards when running fast seem to bench better with tRAS set to 11 though some still like 7 or 8.

Check out a more thorough explanation of memory timings and the like in the BIOS Optimization Guide @ www.rojakpot.com The free version is at the bottom of the B.O.G. page. You want the section on Memory Subsystem

Heres some other links to check out.

http://www.geekextreme.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30

http://www.techspot.com/guides-hardware.shtml

Regards, Balrog

thanks balrog for all your help and info. you've really made this whole process alot easier for me to get my system up. thanks melch

I'll be posting my data for my system in a few days while it was running at 2.2GHz (220fsbx10).

As for now im burning my system in at 2.3GHz (230x10)
It benched with no problems and the heat is virtually the same as it was when i was at 2.2GHz idle at 101(F) @1.65V

I may try for 2.4GHz in a week or 2. im just not sure what my limits are with air cooling? and another thing i cant figure out is why my system wont POST with my Ram at Cas 2.5?

Back