• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Side Panel Off! Temps Drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mickopla

Registered
I have a AMD XP 1600+ running on the Abit KR7A board and with no overclocking at the moment. i need a bit of advise from the experts in here. My CPU when running idle is at 50c with case temperature at 29c. CPU when at full load can run up to 56c. I took off the side panel of my PC case to see what temps i would get and was surprised to see the CPU temp when idle drop to 43c with case temp staying the same. I have one case fan at the moment. Could you guys give me some advise how i can get the temps especially of the CPU to stay at the lower levels with the side panel on?

Well you obviously need some more case fans in there. What type of case are you using? Is there room for more intake/exhaust fans? Its a little strange that your case temps didnt drop at all when you took your sidedoor off. It seems like you need more ventilation in your case to me :).

You could also lower your CPU temp by upgrading the CPU heatsink/fan. This might be cheaper than buying more case fans and will yeild a better result. People seem to love the thermaltake sp-900's ( I think I got that right) for aircooling.

Either way you are gonna have to do some upgrading to your cooling system.

you cpu fan is probably ingesting it's heated exhaust due to a lack of airflow thru your case.

I'd say you need both intake & exhaust case fans at a minimum. Another option is to install a fan in the case door, blowing directly at your cpu heatsink fan. Then I'd recommend you install a blowhole in the top of your case to help exhaust hot air.

You'll have to cut thru the case to do this, and I'd recommend you use bimetal hole saws and a power drill to make your holes.

If you don't feel like doing that, I'd suggest you look at the cases at Newegg.com and find a case that has the blowhole and door fan locations already installed.

One more thing, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS !!!

Thanks guys for the advise. I think i'll try one of the Thermalright heatsinks for starters but reading a few reviews they seem to be a bit noisy. Is this the case? Also this may be a silly question but when i install a few new case fans it depends which way i turn it whether it is an intake or exhaust fan. Is this right?

the heatsink itself is noiseless- it's just the fan you choose to blow into the heatsink that makes the noise. Tornado fans are nortorious for their hi noise levels. But there are many fan options available. Medium speed panaflows are a good option, good tradeoff between airlow (CFM) and noise (dba). You want high cfm and low dba.

Check out Sdewinder and SVC to look at some fan options. Sidewinder even lets you listen to some of thier fans.

Sidewinder - http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/

SVC - http://www.svc.com/

A major concern is airflow through your case. You should have lots of intake space with rear/PSU exhaust fan output. If intake is minimized, cooling suffers. Give case specs, what fans/config you are running, and let the forum members respond.

I actually have the same problem. I had one intake on the side pannel just over my GPU, then another intake that blows over my HDD. Then my 2 rear exhaust fans. The CFM difference is around 3-5cfm, exhaust probably pushing out a tad bit more. I had another that was an intake, but it caused really bad vibrations so I took it out.

Another thing to look at is to see if you have a rats nest of wires that restrict the airflow. I keep mine bunched up in the top layer of my case so none is hanging over my mobo. :D This is just until I get them sleeved though.

Yes, the fans usually pull air towards the motor...Most fans have arrows on the fan frame indicating direction of rotation and air flow..:) So the hub side of the fan would be intake and the motor side of the fan exhaust.

Adding cases to the side panel is simple man.

Forget hours of dremmel work. Just go to the hardware store and grab a circlular drill (like for cutting door knobs) and have at it..

modding-cutter.jpg

Here's a dvd-dupe i added 6 fans to.

side.jpg

And here's my own personal system based in a modified classic antec steel case.

side-closed.jpg

Back