• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Side project for my 2 1/2 year old girl - Win10 issue on VERY OLD POS PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

Allie.jpg

I've been working on a side project with my little girl who is 2 to show her the in's and out's of a computer and give her something to tinker on and play with.

I did a very crappy scrap build for her with some old parts I have around which consisted of an old ECS board with a Celeron 400@ 2.0 & 2GB of DDR2 800 and knowing better installed Win10 on the machine.

Problem is while everything else on the machine seems to be able to handle Win10 this AntiMalware Service Exe is totally crippling the system and I've tried to disable it via registry and it's not allowing me to edit or add entries even with admin permissions.

I've tried to disable it via admin services and no joy there so here I am wondering how I can stop this damn thing without a hammer because it hovers in between 40ish and 100% CPU use
WDF.png

Disable windows defender?

For me, if I disable Windows Defender, Windows always re-enables it automatically. On my HTPC build, only once in a great while does it actually bog the system but I'd still love to be able to stop it permanently. I imagine it would be totally crippling on an old machine like Burglar's building.

For me, if I disable Windows Defender, Windows always re-enables it automatically. On my HTPC build, only once in a great while does it actually bog the system but I'd still love to be able to stop it permanently. I imagine it would be totally crippling on an old machine like Burglar's building.

I've disabled the search indexer,and everything else I can think of in the services but the damn service won't disable and if I manage to get it stopped it automatically reenables.
I tried editing the registry value to disable and it won't let me..... How the hell can it refuse to let a system admin disable a task............ Microsoft should be beaten for this.

after you reinstall, take a look at ccleaner, it has a section where you can disable startup items.
I have a build that is in the functional mockup stage and I can disable windows defender and it remains disabled through a boot cycle.

So I know the thread is specifically about Win10, but maybe you might like https://www.edubuntu.org better for your build. Lots of knowledge in the AltOS Section if you are just nervous about leaving Windows.

So I know the thread is specifically about Win10, but maybe you might like https://www.edubuntu.org better for your build. Lots of knowledge in the AltOS Section if you are just nervous about leaving Windows.

I've spent a lot of time in various Linux distros but tbh I think a Windows system would a lot easier for a young child to navigate plus considering 90% of computers today are running some sort of Windows version anyway so it'll come in handy for her later.

I grew up in the age of command prompts without GUI's were either sloppy or didn't exist but trying to teach a small child how to type with the attention span of a house fly is harder than North Korea making a decent rocket.

I'm thinking 10 is going to be far too hard to run on this system as a single Firefox/Edge window peaks CPU use at 70,80%..... Either that's the way it is or something's still wrong with the system.

The only thing I can think that I could install on here without much bloat would be either XP or 7 both of which I love but I don't want to lose modern functionality........

I would however love to at some point go reexplore Win 3.1 but I'll do that on my own time.

Last edited:
Try Windows 7 Starter (any Win7 disc has all versions if you know how, but that doesn't say anything about Activation key) as it was the slimmest version out of the box. I dont think it even came with extra wallpapers

Just out of curiosity what functionality are you trying to keep that isnt in 7 or XP?

Well as it turns out I found my stash of old crappy pc hardware in the attic and found an ok little board with an old but still decent 64x2

This thing kicks the living hell out of the Celeron so much it isn't even amusing

Well looks like I solved my own problem :D

Now I see why there's a difference when I look at these side by side........

COmparison.png

I had to do this just for a laugh....... I think I just received the worst score ever in CinebenchR15

Cine.png

Attachments

• Stats.jpg
    Stats.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back