• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

signs of a dying motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

First, this is not MSI related. It has happened to me with an NF7 and Ultra Infinity. I've swapped or killed the boards with each of these before I decided to troubleshoot. This however, is my sig rig.

So everything is awesome. I have a rock solid install and great performance. I decide to mess with some services. Now, every time I try and watch a video clip, my computer hard reboots. When I mean hard, I mean slams into a wall, pull the plug out and put it back in real fast.

So I've been trying to fix the error. Nothing seems to work and the computer keeps crashing when I try to see if a fix worked. It's rebooted itself a good 3 dozen times now. This rebooting is not the problem....

So, fed up with not being able to watch my 140 movies, I reformat my windows drive. I decide to try 2k from xp again. When I first got the board, it had some problems with 2k, studdering and slowness. So I install all the drivers except the sound card and reboot.

"please insert boot disk press enter to continue"

It lost the OS. "Eh, must still be hating 2k." *whips out xp* Everything installs fine, install the drivers and the OS is lost again. HMMMM

Now, I keep getting stop errors randomly during either right before the format process, copyping install files, windows install, or anywhere else. The only place it hasn't crashed is during a format (several longs and a couple quicks).

XP64 even gave me a keyboardclass.dll (or something) error while loading install files. Right now 2k is about 90% copying files and no blue screen yet.

If it may help the stop errors I get are 0x00000050 and I think 0x00000005.

Now what makes me think it's the mobo is I've tried optomized defaults, I've tried 'safe' defaults. I've tried custom settings, I've tried default settings. Now what's this: The northbridge is about twice as hot as it normally should be. The southbridge is hotter than normal too. I've installed two 50 or 60mm fans to blow directly on the passive and non-existant (sb) sinks.

It's rebooted to 2k formal setup. stop 0x00000050 just now

Did you run memtest86 to make sure it isn't the ram? rule other things to make sure if it is the mobo.

Yes, memtest passed.

Right now I'm using the cpu, ram, and wd740 with a k8n neo2 and 6800nu. So far no problems whatsoever except video playback kind of doesn't work.

Back