• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent gaming rig! [Final suggestions]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Markus91

Registered
Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions in the other thread. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7582146#post7582146

This is so far the final build, for my silent gaming pc. (It will not be overclocked and it will not be using more than one GPU)

Any last suggestions? My main worries are the motherboard, and the cpu cooler.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.00 @ Mac Mall)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($98.07 @ Mwave)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1380.97

Last edited:
You don't need i5-4670K. You can use i5-4670 if your not overclocking.

It's a 10$ difference. As someone stated in the last thread, it increases resell value + it opens up the option of overclocking if needed some day. I'd say the 10$ is worth spent ^^

Ok then I would get the Hyper 212 EVO for a CPU cooler it is quieter and cooler than what you picked also it has 600 - 2000 RPM (PWM) so you can connect it to your CPU 4 pin fan plug and have slow fan speed when the CPU is at idle.

Ok then I would get the Hyper 212 EVO for a CPU cooler it is quieter and cooler than what you picked also it has 600 - 2000 RPM (PWM) so you can connect it to your CPU 4 pin fan plug and have slow fan speed when the CPU is at idle.

Everyone keep telling me to get the EVO.. Won't my cpu cooler cut it? The one I picked is probably one of the least noisy ones.. :clap:

2500-2999 RPM Noctua NH-L9i 95mm the fan is louder because it runs faster.
Wow where have I head that before :D?
Said the same thing in the last thread.

Wow where have I head that before :D?
Said the same thing in the last thread.

I know you did... Took both of you to convince me though.. :bang head Reading up on the EVO... It can run just as low as the noctuas.. I need to learn to listen.. :blah:

How sensitive are your ears? The Hyper 212 Evo on full blast is too loud for me personally. My systems loudest fan is a 600rpm Silverstone AP 181 180mm intake. Then a GT 1150RPM on the CPU; and the Asus DCUII GTX 670, reknowned for its absolute silence.

And this is all in a non-silence optimised chassis.

The EVGA is a great card, but the MSI Gaming and Asus DCUII ARE quieter than it according to techpowerup (which I reference and use all the time to compare power draws and fan noise). Where the EVGA is 36DBA under load, and the Asus/MSI Gaming are at 30DBA.

FYI the Hyper 212 Evo's heatsink tips will also hit the Fractal Defines moduvent. (I've used it before in the same case).

You also don't really need a 750W PSU for that build. I'd be going for a 500-600w PSU. You're clearly not going to SLI in that build. Seasonic G 550 comes to mind here. Or the Silverstone 550W Strider Gold. (Neither are loud; I wouldn't worry)

I know you did... Took both of you to convince me though.. :bang head Reading up on the EVO... It can run just as low as the noctuas.. I need to learn to listen.. :blah:
Only issue now is will it fit in the case, the original case you chose when I suggested it to you was 9.1" wide.

Mjolnir said:
FYI the Hyper 212 Evo's heatsink tips will also hit the Fractal Defines moduvent.

It fits fine; it just leaves small dents in the Moduvent ;) Hahaha. But the door closes over it fine. =).

I would heavily suggest getting a replacement fan for the stock 212 Evo though.. But by doing so; you might as well step up to something else in the first place... *shrug* (Noctua U12s?)

It fits fine; it just leaves small dents in the Moduvent ;) Hahaha. But the door closes over it fine. =).

I would heavily suggest getting a replacement fan for the stock 212 Evo though.. But by doing so; you might as well step up to something else in the first place... *shrug* (Noctua U12s?)
What is wrong with the 212 EVO fan?

What is wrong with the 212 EVO fan?

As I asked the OP before. How sensitive are they to noise. I've used the hyper 212 before. And when it ramps up its frankly too loud for me. But I'm a silence nut. Hence the question.

That said the best fans to date I've still used are the gentle typhoons. Specifically the Gt ap 13. 1150rpm is damn near silent. Currently cooling my h60. My next build is in an itx rig and will be using that and two noise blocker 800rpm fans.

The OP posted for a silent rig. And I'm just giving my version of what is required for silence.

How sensitive are your ears? The Hyper 212 Evo on full blast is too loud for me personally. My systems loudest fan is a 600rpm Silverstone AP 181 180mm intake. Then a GT 1150RPM on the CPU; and the Asus DCUII GTX 670, reknowned for its absolute silence.

And this is all in a non-silence optimised chassis.

The EVGA is a great card, but the MSI Gaming and Asus DCUII ARE quieter than it according to techpowerup (which I reference and use all the time to compare power draws and fan noise). Where the EVGA is 36DBA under load, and the Asus/MSI Gaming are at 30DBA.

FYI the Hyper 212 Evo's heatsink tips will also hit the Fractal Defines moduvent. (I've used it before in the same case).

You also don't really need a 750W PSU for that build. I'd be going for a 500-600w PSU. You're clearly not going to SLI in that build. Seasonic G 550 comes to mind here. Or the Silverstone 550W Strider Gold. (Neither are loud; I wouldn't worry)

I'm going to change to one of the quieter ones then, or go with another card all toghether if you have a suggestion, for a really powerful silent card.

The reason for the psu being 750w, is that it's cheaper than the other ones with lower voltage..

Last edited:
Cooler: You could get this. It will leave plenty of clearance and you can use the resistors to slow the fans way the hell down.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016

Honestly, though, since you're putting all Noctua fans for the case fans, I would buy the EVO then put the two Fractal fans you're taking out off the case onto the EVO and use the resistors that come with the Noctua fans on the heatsink fans.
Since you'll be getting LNA and ULNA with all three Noctua fans, you'll have plenty of resistors left over.

Cooler: You could get this. It will leave plenty of clearance and you can use the resistors to slow the fans way the hell down.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016

Honestly, though, since you're putting all Noctua fans for the case fans, I would buy the EVO then put the two Fractal fans you're taking out off the case onto the EVO and use the resistors that come with the Noctua fans on the heatsink fans.
Since you'll be getting LNA and ULNA with all three Noctua fans, you'll have plenty of resistors left over.

I'm slightly confused about all the stuff you just said.. So many new words... Haha...

Here's the build so far.. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/26yiM

With noctua cpu cooler.. not sure which is best,, the one you suggested, or the one I got..

Back