• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent HD???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OBLIVIONLORD said:
How much quieter and how much of a diffrence from the Seagate baracuda 4?
compared to what? put it this way if you werent watching your computer booting up you would think the rig was turned off... like you will hear even the slowest fans over the ATA-IV, i did.

*edit* that newegg link wasnt there when i first posted this...compared to that drive i have no clue... you would have to do a side by side, but i dought that sammy drive is quieter then the ATA-IV line.

Last edited:
Ok well now its on .... Samsung T Series Vs Seagate Baracuda ATA 4 for noise.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article657-page3.html

After listening to the audios provided by the tester.. the Seagate Baracude 4 is by far the loudest of the 4. Maybe its like that only with larger drives but the Series T is the quietest of them all

Last edited:
after using many ata iv's i stand by what i said. i have not come across another drive as quiet as that one but i havent used sammy T series or sammies at all.

Samsungs are quiet, as long as you keep them cool, I to dont know about the T series but all my old P series are virtually silent, you have to touch them to feel them seeking. I use an 80mm fan running off the 5v rail and its ample cooling for them. I bought my first one because it was cheap, but overall they impress even if they arn't the fastest drives out there.

Gunlance said:
my raptors are crazy quiet

when my deltas are on full blast :)

Seagate perp drive has never made a sound for me.
LOL

I have 2 320 perps. They can become loud if accessing ALOT. Seagate 80gb IDE drives are dead silent. Any thing sata will almost be guaranteed not to be silent.. sata is designed for performance not silence :D

tyler_bishop said:
LOL

I have 2 320 perps. They can become loud if accessing ALOT. Seagate 80gb IDE drives are dead silent. Any thing sata will almost be guaranteed not to be silent.. sata is designed for performance not silence :D

I've not read recently about hard-drives, but the last time I did, there was no difference in performance between the SATA and IDE since hard-disks weren't fast enough to utilise the bandwidth.

Sata has more bandwith overall no matter how you slice it. you can have a ton of Sata drives in 1 pc with their own channel utlizing the full bandwith whereas with IDE your limited since the bandwith is nearly half. Soon sata will have 600mb bandwith thus surpassing IDE greatfold.

However 1 drive vs 1 drive both the exact same.. theres no performance diffrence.

Last edited:
yeah, but i thought the harddrive doesn't utilise the bandwidth eventhough the SATA connection does give you more bandwidth. so you'll get the same with 2 identical harddrives (one being SATA and the other being IDE).

Back