• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent-ish computer build help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gto-demon

Hey guys! First post here so please bear with me
So I've finally built my first computer and realized that it is pretty loud due to the fans installed. (It being on the table beside me doesn't help either).

I am currently using the stock fans that came with the case and my H110I GT

Here is my part list:
Case: corsair air 540
Mother board: EVGA Z97 FTW
Cpu: Intel i7 4790
Cup cooler: corsair H110I GT
Ram: corsair vengeance pro 2x4 gb 1866
Video card: still pending
Fans: stock

I know my case isn't the best sound proofing case and neither is my pump. But I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on quiet fans that may help reduce some noise coming from my computer (preferly with LED)

Noctua industrial PPC 2000RPM PWM, then get a PWM splitter and run all your system fans via PWM control.

The Corsair AP series fans are pretty decent fans and are even fairly quiet. I believe the Noctua and NB eLoop fans are a little quieter but I don't know that the cost of replacing your fans would be justified by a few decibles. My guess is that most of the noise you're experiencing is coming from the pump as most AIO pumps are not quiet by any means. Couple that with the Air 540 (great case) and it's open air design (read no noise proofing) right next to your head... well you get my point.

Recommendations: The H110i GT has pwm fans, likely the Corsair SP series (good fans). You can set your fan speeds in the BIOS to reduce the noise coming from these. I'm not sure about EVGA MB's but my ASRocks allow me to set different speeds based on temps. This would be ideal. Also, I'm not familiar with that corsair pump they use. If you can reduce the speed of the pump it will quiet it down considerably. You only need about 1GPM water flow. Again, I'm not familiar with that pump so some research may be in order if that's even do-able. Finally, move your case a few feet over. Maybe that would help a bit, if not just slide it back over.

LED fans are mostly considered to be on the cheaper side so we generally suggest using LED strips and sticking with the top fans.

One fan that is a good quality and good price (especially with the H110 cooler), would be the 140mm Be Quiet Pure Wings. Currently $9.99 each on NCIX. These fans are normally in the $20 range, like Noctua. And the aesthetic is pretty cool, too: http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...&vpn=BL047&manufacture=be quiet!&promoid=1402

Beyond that, with the Air 540 you can have 3x120 or 2x140 in the front, 1x120/140 in the back, and 3x120 or 2x140 in the top, so you have a lot of options. Noctua are more or less the best fans overall (especially for quietness), but you pay a premium for them. If I were to outfit that case to my ideal fan setup:
3x Noctua S12A FLX Fans in the front as Intake
2x Noctua NF14P FLX Fans for H110i
1x Noctua NF14A FLX in the rear for exhaust.

The brown may not be your aesthetic, but that would be the best airflow / noise setup with what you've got, I'm fairly certain.

Back