• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silicon Image 3112 S-ATA controller any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CRAP! is what i call this controller.
i was testing my new 9700 and it corrupted again.im done messing with it for now.
a man can only take so much lol
anyhow im back to using ide and single drives.
i also have to rethink getting 2 raptors now as id need to buy a sata raid card and its $100 on top of 2 of the most expensive hard drives alive.so i dont know what im gonna do next.

SenorBeef said:
So it corrupted with win2k with the page file registry tweak?
yes it did.it only lasted 4 days and i wasnt even trying to heavy oc or anything just rebooted is all.

ill look at amdmb forums for the info core.but im rather sceptic at this point.

deathstar13 said:
CRAP! is what i call this controller.
i was testing my new 9700 and it corrupted again.im done messing with it for now.
a man can only take so much lol
anyhow im back to using ide and single drives.
i also have to rethink getting 2 raptors now as id need to buy a sata raid card and its $100 on top of 2 of the most expensive hard drives alive.so i dont know what im gonna do next.

So it didnt work with 2k eh? Thats too bad. So far mine is working flawlessly on XP. I just downloaded the newer sata driver and installed it as well, so will keep on running and see what happens.

*Edit* Just did a benchmark with sandra 52315kbs. Not too shabby for XP I guess.

One more thing. Did you change any interrupt assignment by switching/adding pci cards? I noticed the controller is VERY fussy about changes and craps out.

Al

Last edited:
wow great scores under xp man.

array on a single drive would be a good way of testing.

im rethinking my raptor move now.mabey ide raid is my best bet until this is truely fixed.

deathstar13 said:

im rethinking my raptor move now.mabey ide raid is my best bet until this is truely fixed.

Yeah, I am going to hold off buying them for awhile as well. Even though my setup seems to be running ok right now, who knows?

It is going to have to run quite a long time with no sign of error before I commit $500 cdn plus tax for a couple of drives I may not be able to use.

The whole sata thing is like a lottery right now, some claim it works but most have problems. Will be interesting to see if they can fix it. Apparently even the pci controller card is having the issue

Al

Spanko said:
hey guys can you help me with setting up my newly bought raptor as a single drive? I have an Abit NF7-S for a description of my problem read this please

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8972

I think I see your problem.

When you get to the screen where it says it cannot find any devices to install the OS on....I think you have to hit a key to "specify" an unlisted device. When you do that, it will look for the device driver disk in your floppy drive and give you a list of the driver to install on it.

Al

also to add to that when installing the oc somewhere at the bigining it askes to install scsi drivers or raid drivers.you hit the alt-f4 i think and you need to install the sata drivers.

is weird it but it needs them just to run sata.

deathstar13 said:
wow great scores under xp man.

array on a single drive would be a good way of testing.

just ran sandra a few more times. got scores between 52000 and 56000.

Tried it on my other machine with the promise ide raid and got scores of around 40000.

I hope this SATA works out ok, i dont want to go back to IDE:(

Well, I had this running ok for a month before with the tweak and the only problem came when the maxtor failed.

If I can get it to run like this for another month then i am going for the Raptors. I am dying to see what scores i get with them setup:drool:

if mine was holding up like yours id get the raptors also.
but with my crapping out its gonna be hard to break down and buy the sata raid card also.

i get paid in less than a week and have a nice chunk of $$$ for my monthly pc allowance.and ive sold some parts also.

what do you think?
pay and buy a highpoint ide raid card and run what i have? $45
or buy 2 raptors and a sata card? $400
i think the results from the ide would be 45000-48000 sandra marks.
or sata raptors 80000-85000 sandra marks.

looking at it id say the raptors but dang after looking at those numbers the $400 might just be worth it.plus i can sell my old drives.about $100 in my pockets back.
i want my machine fast but this is a tough one.

just went on sale at monarch pc for $159 free shipping and great resselleratings :D

Last edited:
Heres some interesting info:

I have been using the silicon image sata driver version 1.0.0.28 all the while I was running without corruption.

I went through one of the links to another forum and discovered a newer version of the driver, so I downloaded and installed it.

Bah, the corruption came back.

Needless to say, I have rolled back to the 28 version and it seems to be ok again.

Weird.

Al

deathstar13 said:

what do you think?
pay and buy a highpoint ide raid card and run what i have? $45
or buy 2 raptors and a sata card? $400
i think the results from the ide would be 45000-48000 sandra marks.
or sata raptors 80000-85000 sandra marks.
:D

Thats a tough descision. If it were me and I chose not to buy the Controller and the drives I would wonder how long I would be kicking myself and regretting not getting them.

However, if i bought them, then I would wonder why i didnt just wait until they had a fix for the Sil controller;)

one more thing to consider...How good is the highpoint controller? i would be doing a lot of searches on this and other forums to read posts from other people using this card and get their views on its reliability and performance.

....or you could flip a quarter:D

Al

Back