• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silicon Image 3112 S-ATA controller any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SenorBeef said:
How does one create a 'single drive array'?

I dont know if it can be done, but it is worth trying

Just hook up one drive to the controller and run the raid controller config program when the prompt shows up at bootup.

I think you can just add the one drive to the array setup and then go through the create array routine.

Al

SenorBeef said:
How does one create a 'single drive array'?

You can't, an array is composed of 2 or more HDDs. What deathstar13 meant was to use the SATA RAID Controller as a regular mass storage device with only 1 HDD connected.

well 4 days till i get paid and no decisions.
i might as well just go buy the crap as if i dont ill just end up wasted and party a few days and be broke anyhow.

might as well be broke and have parts :D

ill post later what i do.and yeh its a very hard decision.i did do reasearch and the highpoint ide raid card is fine.
i always do reasearch before i buy or even consider buying anything.thats why i have such a hard time buying these raptors and sata raid card as im well informed on it and not a sure bet its gonna work flawlessly.

guess ill be flipping quarters wendsday.but i could replace my secondary monitor thats an old 15" with a nice new 19" flat crt and still buy the ide raid card and have money for a nice big party left over.lol god i hate decisions.

btw newegg has the raptors $175 with free shipping now.monarch pc is still $159 free shipping. im an egghead so most likley ill pay the extra $$$
im pretty sure ill buy the raptors anyhow and try without the card and oder it anyhow.and ship it back if its not needed but at least have it on hand if it is.

Last edited:
Sonny said:

What deathstar13 meant was to use the SATA RAID Controller as a regular mass storage device with only 1 HDD connected.

Another guy is trying to do this Unfortunatly, his system is not recognizing the single drive for some reason and he is trying to twiddle with different things to get it to work. A single drive array was one of the things that was brought up to try to get his system to recognize the drive.

Last edited:
Looks like the eggheads at the Abit think tank have been working on your problem. :) They have reproduced and recognized the flaw ann they are going to release a new driver.

I plan to use the Abit IC7 with two raptors in serial raid 0, but correct me if I am wrong...the IC5 south bridge has a different serial controller. So that means I won't have the same problem as you, right?

krag said:
Looks like the eggheads at the Abit think tank have been working on your problem. :) They have reproduced and recognized the flaw ann they are going to release a new driver.

I plan to use the Abit IC7 with two raptors in serial raid 0, but correct me if I am wrong...the IC5 south bridge has a different serial controller. So that means I won't have the same problem as you, right?

Which controller does it have? The problem is with the Sil 3112 SATA Raid controller, which both the Abit and Asus NForce boards are using. So far I am lucky as this Asus of mine appears to have its Raid problem sorted out.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out;)

*Edit* "Improper register values" They say..... I hope thats all it is;)

Al

Back