• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silverstone FT02B, need 120mm quieter fans.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

Using some high speed 120mm yate loons on my pc. 2 for push/pull, 1 for exhaust. Any quieter alternative that pushes quite a bit of air?

For a case that costs as much as yours, you can afford good fans. Hydrodynamic bearings or ball bearings. For 120mm fans I use Gentle Typhoons. They are especially good on heatsinks. I use them in my case wherever I must use 120mm fans; I use a pair of PWM San Ace Silents on my heatsink, though.

Wherever you have a 120x120mm window and can fit a 140mm fan with 120mm screw holes, put in the bigger fan. The 140mm fan covers the entire 120x120mm window, where a 120mm fan covers at most 75% of it.

I don't know what fans an FT02B will carry, but the Going Scientific is a decent thread on the subject.

You'll definitely want to look for fans with sine wave drive. For those who don't know, computer fans are actually 3 phase synchronous AC motors with built in inverters. The cheap square wave inverters (used in basically all really cheap fans) tend to make a really annoying "motor buzz" as the sudden change in the waveform vibrates the coils. Sine wave inverters produce a smooth waveform (actually, they use PWM) that avoids the vibrations. (Note that DSP drives like Cindy Wu sensorless field oriented control are actually hybrid inverters that output sine waves at low speed and trapezoidal waves at high speed. That gives them a little more power for the same motor.)

As for what to look for, Delta fans with PWM go well with a high end PC. Sanyo and Nidec are also good. There's also Scythe and Noctua that explicitly advertise sine wave drive, but they're probably too weak for a high end PC. (They would work great in a HTPC, though.)

What fans have sine wave drive? Give us a list please. I knew Cindy Wu, she was hot.
All recent variable speed Deltas (and some newer fixed speed Deltas) use the Cindy Wu algorithm (field oriented control without a resolver). Nidecs and NMBs with PWM use something very similar. Sanyo uses a different algorithm that does use a resolver, but it compares favorably performance wise. Scythes (and presumably Noctuas) are strictly sine wave drive since they're designed for low noise.

As for other brands like Thermaltake or Cooler Master, it depends on the real manufacturer of the fan (if they're only rebadging) or what design they happened to use. The fan that comes stock with the Hyper 212 Evo has sine wave drive, but some other Cooler Master fans are square wave. Your best defense is a good return policy.

Back