• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple Video Editing Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I'd like a simple video editing program. These will be videos from my nexus 4, or from my Sony Cybershot. I just want the basics, being able to cut out sections of dead air, and maybe do graceful transitions where the audio/video fades out to make it smoother than a hard cut. It would be a bonus if its simple to speed up the video in some sections, to fast forward through tedious parts.

As an example using images, I don't want or need Photoshop or Gimp... Lots of options, hard to find certain simple/common operations in the long list of tools, and you basically have to learn the program to do what you want. I'd prefer something like mspaint for videos, or maybe a step up from that.

Any suggestions for something like this? Free or paid doesn't matter, all suggestions welcome. :)

We use Windows Live Movie Maker at work - does exactly what you need - the utmost basics of clips.

I dont know about IMOG but WMM dont do 100% of the light need i have. If i want to zoom on a part of the video, or overlap another video, WMM dont do this. ( AFAIK ).

Dont know if IMOG need this too ? I use WMM sometime, but it lack some basic tools.

I linked him to VirtualDub and he hasn't responded via chat since checking out the program. Not sure if that is good or bad.

I am actually trying to dry out and reinsulate a motherboard so I can get some LN2 going 'round her'... I haven't checked out virtualdub. I will probably check it out, as well as avidemux, which I saw suggested as a linux alternative to virtualdub.

I'll report back what I think once I get a chance to toy with either/both.

SEND MOAR SUGESTIENS! (seriously, I'd like to do a quick compare between options before investing any meaningful time into any one option)

I am also very interested in what people think. I have used WMM and it didn't have the functionality that I need. I will give VirtualDub a try.

With the short time I have played with it, here are the conclusions I have come to:

1. It has more functionality than WMM.
2. You have to download extensions to add certain effects.
3. It has a very dry interface... It reminds me of audacity.
4. It seems fairly easy to use, though some things take a little while to find.

Overall, the interface, the limited functionality, and the sometimes confusing layout of commands will force me to look elsewhere for video editing software. I will come back and update you guys if I find anything that strikes my fancy.

wich version you tryed ?

The "Release build -- 1.9.11 (stable), 64-bit (x64) version" dont want to open the first two video file i tryed ...

first one is my "raw" .avi from MSI AB gaming recording, 3.67gb, 50fps/1536kbs, Error on opening. This is exactly the kind of video i want to work with ..... !

Second i tried is a "finished" product edited with WMM. 19.6mb, 29fps, 134kbs, edited to be uploaded to youtube. "720p normal video". Error on opening ...

2 strike at first virtualdub try !....

Check out Kino its open source Linux software. Its supposed to be the free alternative to Adobe premiere.

Designed to be intuitive. They use that word regularly when hyping any program and what that means is if you know how to use the software you will get along famously.

Video editting is just not intuitive to me. Not with any software I have used. This is just barely cut-down from the for pay version and will work after looking at their "How-To" videos and a little trial and error.

Will cut, fade, transition, allow for sound track add and insertion of stills with a length of time to display stills.

I will insert one note here: When I first began use of Video Pad and any of the Video Editting software, I kept TWO copies of the file I wanted to edit. Work on one and saved one for my learning curve. I kept an original on hand and not dorked with it until I had the finished product in hand and happy with it. Then I could delete that stored-away safely original. That way I did not have only a mess and no video at all.

VideoPad Video Editor
Video Editing Software Anyone Can Use

Designed to be intuitive, VideoPad is a fully featured video editing program for creating professional looking videos in minutes. Making movies has never been easier.

The free for home use is down a little in the advertising.
Get it Free. A free video editor version is available for non-commercial use only. If you will be using it at home you can download the free version here.

I wish I remember what program I used on an apple machine to do videos like 6 years ago. I actually did feel it was intuitive.

I haven't tried anything yet, but will at some point here.

Designed to be intuitive. They use that word regularly when hyping any program and what that means is if you know how to use the software you will get along famously.

Video editting is just not intuitive to me. Not with any software I have used. This is just barely cut-down from the for pay version and will work after looking at their "How-To" videos and a little trial and error.

Will cut, fade, transition, allow for sound track add and insertion of stills with a length of time to display stills.

I will insert one note here: When I first began use of Video Pad and any of the Video Editting software, I kept TWO copies of the file I wanted to edit. Work on one and saved one for my learning curve. I kept an original on hand and not dorked with it until I had the finished product in hand and happy with it. Then I could delete that stored-away safely original. That way I did not have only a mess and no video at all.

VideoPad Video Editor
Video Editing Software Anyone Can Use

Designed to be intuitive, VideoPad is a fully featured video editing program for creating professional looking videos in minutes. Making movies has never been easier.

The free for home use is down a little in the advertising.
Get it Free. A free video editor version is available for non-commercial use only. If you will be using it at home you can download the free version here.

Seems really nice. tryied it a few second, ill dig into this one :)

@ Boulard83. Yes it has a pretty full feature set once I got my feet more than just a little damp in using it. A dang ole faht like me has trouble adjusting to what seems a senseless manner of programming software. And software will just let you do something in its' recognizable manner. I get better each time I use VideoPad Editor and have deleted that crazy huge-azz Pinnacle trial from my computer completely. 1.5Gb or so download and every file I wanted to edit freeken pinnacle moved it somewhere else before doing the edit. I get the video on the computer and then lame pinnacle had to move it somewhere so it could 'remember' where it was. Dunce crap in my eyes.

Anyway for my video editting needs NCH VideoPad is doing very well indeed. I put a lot of smaller videos together to make a larger one and have title pages and text depicting the change in topic of the combined videos as it plays back. So a lot of manual work for sure. I am coming to grips with NCH VideoPad for my needs.

Although for a simple snip of part of the action from a video for instance, I do use a 'snipping' tool only since it so much faster for such a simple task. Good luck man.
RGone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back