• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simply sick of MSi at this stage..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

athranoe

Hey folks,
I decided to post this more as a warning to people contemplating buying this motherboard or from MSi in general as at this stage it's more than just a coincidence.

I've purchased a total of 5 MSi boards over the past 3 years and every last one of them has died, one of which had died within 2 weeks! And that was only an Athlon 64 board. However I gave it some time and having spotted a good offer I snapped up an MSI 970A-G45 in an impulsive purchase as I needed an AM3 board quickly.

Now being an IT Support Spec. I did my homework and did some research before the purchase, but not enough it seems, as I didn't anticipate that the Sapphire Radeon HD 6970's cooler is -wider- than the usual stock cooler and completely envelopes 2 of the SATA ports. Now, that problem I could get by and it was my fault if I'm honest.

However, upong running the system (MSI 970A-G45, AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 16GB Corsair XMX3 1333, HD 6970, Quattro 850W) for as little as ONE month, with the CPU overclocked to a small amount, literally only up to 3GHz with no voltage increase, I go downstairs with two EVE Online clients running and make a cup of coffee. I go back upstairs and my system is off! So I'm thinking, hmm, thats odd, perhaps Automatic Updates? No.. they're off. So I power back up and get a nice *snap* noise. Not good. After a full 3 hours of trying to power it back on and getting 0.5second power ups, I'm left baffled. The system will power on WITHOUT the 8pin CPU power cable connected, but once that is connected, the 0.5second power on happens. So I pop in a Phenom II x2 to see if it's my CPU (which is only a month old as well) and the same thing happens, I try a different PSU, same thing happens, different RAM, same thing. Unable to get beep codes due to no actual boot.

Then I closely inspect the board, and ALMOST miss the -tiny- bit of bubbling on one of the chips. It looks like a tiny bit of PVA glue got on it, not literally, but that's the visual.

So I go and Google this to see what it is, and it's apparently the CPU Power Phase control chip. So basically, it burned out, with very little overclocking, no over-volting, excellent air cooling. Considering this board is plastered with advertisements of OC Genie and it's overclocking and core unlocking potential, this is simply shocking. If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice the plastic CPU outter socket actually partially covers the chip preventing any air from accessing it also.

Has anybody ever had this happen to them? I personally, in all my years, have never had a phase change chip (which doesn't even require a heatsink usually) burn out within a month with MODERATE usage.

Unhappy man :bang head

Attachments

• l_11106506_001.jpg
    l_11106506_001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 376
These things happen. Sorry to hear about your experience. Mine has been just fine with MSI... though I was working with higher end boards.

I'm considering the ASUS M5A99X EVO as a replacement. From what I can see, it LOOKS like a nice replacement, it looks like it has nice features. Has anyone any experience with this board that could give me a heads up on any hidden problems or is it a decent board?

product_851.jpg

Have seen it recommended a number of times here in the forum, one time just yesterday or early, early this morning.

Have seen it recommended a number of times here in the forum, one time just yesterday or early, early this morning.

Thanks for the info, it's between that and the Sabertooth 990FX, I'm leaning towards the Sabertooth as it simply looks better built..

Sabertooth is a very good board by all means.

Well, the Sabertooth is ordered. Thanks again for your advice, hopefully I have some better luck with this thing. Definitely has a good few bells and whistles! :thup:

Well, the Sabertooth is ordered. Thanks again for your advice, hopefully I have some better luck with this thing. Definitely has a good few bells and whistles! :thup:

To us who try and offer help to users in the forum, the MSI AMD boards seem to be falling behind. The types of failures users have been reporting are not so good anymore. But that brings me to one question. Is the power supply you are using okay. Is it failing in voltage regulated output? That question comes hard to mind when failures as you are getting come one after the other.

To us who try and offer help to users in the forum, the MSI AMD boards seem to be falling behind. The types of failures users have been reporting are not so good anymore. But that brings me to one question. Is the power supply you are using okay. Is it failing in voltage regulated output? That question comes hard to mind when failures as you are getting come one after the other.

I understand your question and it makes sense to ask it, but trust me I've many years of experience under my belt regarding hardware troubleshooting. I've tested the PSU completely with a good multimeter. There is no irregularities, and it's an Antec Quattro 850. I regularily test all 4 rails just to be on the safe side, and it's only a few months old. I'm afraid this really seems to be the board alone :-/

^ do you have a UPS to keep the power clean? do you over clock alot? do you have aluminum wires in your house?

^ do you have a UPS to keep the power clean? do you over clock alot? do you have aluminum wires in your house?

Yes I have a UPS, no I do not overclock on this system, no I have copper wires in my house.

I understand your question and it makes sense to ask it, but trust me I've many years of experience under my belt regarding hardware troubleshooting. I've tested the PSU completely with a good multimeter. There is no irregularities, and it's an Antec Quattro 850. I regularily test all 4 rails just to be on the safe side, and it's only a few months old. I'm afraid this really seems to be the board alone :-/

Duly noted. Sometimes an entire lineup has a problem when used in certain situations as the product at that point is not up to the task. It seems you hit that situation.

I had that same board with a bd. it toasted the voltage regulator in 1 or two days, I have given up on msi forever now.

I'm not big fan of MSI motherboards ( especially last 2-3 years ) but their graphics cards were always best for me.

Hey folks,
I decided to post this more as a warning to people contemplating buying this motherboard or from MSi in general as at this stage it's more than just a coincidence.

I've purchased a total of 5 MSi boards over the past 3 years and every last one of them has died, one of which had died within 2 weeks! And that was only an Athlon 64 board. However I gave it some time and having spotted a good offer I snapped up an MSI 970A-G45 in an impulsive purchase as I needed an AM3 board quickly.

Now being an IT Support Spec. I did my homework and did some research before the purchase, but not enough it seems, as I didn't anticipate that the Sapphire Radeon HD 6970's cooler is -wider- than the usual stock cooler and completely envelopes 2 of the SATA ports. Now, that problem I could get by and it was my fault if I'm honest.

However, upong running the system (MSI 970A-G45, AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 16GB Corsair XMX3 1333, HD 6970, Quattro 850W) for as little as ONE month, with the CPU overclocked to a small amount, literally only up to 3GHz with no voltage increase, I go downstairs with two EVE Online clients running and make a cup of coffee. I go back upstairs and my system is off! So I'm thinking, hmm, thats odd, perhaps Automatic Updates? No.. they're off. So I power back up and get a nice *snap* noise. Not good. After a full 3 hours of trying to power it back on and getting 0.5second power ups, I'm left baffled. The system will power on WITHOUT the 8pin CPU power cable connected, but once that is connected, the 0.5second power on happens. So I pop in a Phenom II x2 to see if it's my CPU (which is only a month old as well) and the same thing happens, I try a different PSU, same thing happens, different RAM, same thing. Unable to get beep codes due to no actual boot.

Then I closely inspect the board, and ALMOST miss the -tiny- bit of bubbling on one of the chips. It looks like a tiny bit of PVA glue got on it, not literally, but that's the visual.

So I go and Google this to see what it is, and it's apparently the CPU Power Phase control chip. So basically, it burned out, with very little overclocking, no over-volting, excellent air cooling. Considering this board is plastered with advertisements of OC Genie and it's overclocking and core unlocking potential, this is simply shocking. If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice the plastic CPU outter socket actually partially covers the chip preventing any air from accessing it also.

Has anybody ever had this happen to them? I personally, in all my years, have never had a phase change chip (which doesn't even require a heatsink usually) burn out within a month with MODERATE usage.

Unhappy man :bang head

And here I am with ownership of at least 10 MSI boards in my past, includuing 3 currently, and I've never had one go bad...

Sounds like an isolated incident to me. just my opinion though.

My first AMD build was a NF750-G55... great board but it would not allow me to put more than 2 RAM sticks in. I had even verified with MSI (AFter a very long search process) that the RAM I was using wasd compatible. Here is the joke though. I sold it and got a AsRock (LOL) 890GX Extreme 4 and it worked beautifully. MSI is a good company but I think their motherboard build quality has suffered lately.

Back