• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single or Dual Loop Necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Camel51

My question is can I fit all this on one loop?
  • i7 8700K OC 4.7-5GHz (I will delid it)
  • Single 1080Ti or next highest end GPU below Titan
  • 2 Dimm's at 4000Mhz
If the general consensus is no, then I'll take the memory out of the loop because I have
no desire to put dual loops in this small case.

I plan to build into a Lian Li PC-Q37 Mini ITX case. I will be drilling through the case
to help keep tubing clean and to a minimum length necessary. I'll be using a Nemesis
GTS240 radiator with 2 proper push fans, EK fullcover GPU block, CPU block, and Monarch
memory waterblocks. Once I get the case and measure it'll probably be between a 100mm
and 150mm reservoir, 16mm OD tubing, and Mayhems' coolent. Most likely a DDC pump but
I have seen the D5 fit in this case. The radiator will exhaust from the top and I'll have two
slim 120s on the bottom as intake.

Here is an example of a similar build by RyanEL. I'll have the same top radiator and same position
of the reservoir but the pump will be in the back compartment.

I've built many air cooled computers and have been wanting to build my own dream water
cooled computer for a while now. I love the design of the new EK Supremacy Edge Plexi
CPU blocks so I figured I'll snag one before they're gone forever and start my build.

Last edited:
1) Watercooling RAM is a waste of time and money.
2) A single loop is perfectly fine for what you're thinking.

1) Watercooling RAM is a waste of time and money.
2) A single loop is perfectly fine for what you're thinking.
Watercooling the RAM for me is purely an aesthetic choice. Okay that's great to hear so far, thanks!

I would definitely leave the RAM out of the loop, no way it needs watercooled. The CPU and GPU is doable on a single loop, but you'll need a good radiator.

I agree with everyone. Even for ascetic reasons, most aren't including RAM anymore in PC builds. You might want to see if there's a monoblock if you want something to pop with possible RGBs but other than that, a simple CPU and GPU loop will suffice and always look good with the tightest and cleanest routes possible and don't forget those pretty RGBs. :D

I would also see if you can go smaller on the tubing size since you're squeezing all of this in, in a smaller case but if it's been done already which I can't tell in that builder's PC, have at it.

Will this be soft or hard tubing?

I agree with everyone. Even for ascetic reasons, most aren't including RAM anymore in PC builds. You might want to see if there's a monoblock if you want something to pop with possible RGBs but other than that, a simple CPU and GPU loop will suffice and always look good with the tightest and cleanest routes possible and don't forget those pretty RGBs. :D

I would also see if you can go smaller on the tubing size since you're squeezing all of this in, in a smaller case but if it's been done already which I can't tell in that builder's PC, have at it.

Will this be soft or hard tubing?

Lol, no RGB here. UV blue or purple. I'm going for a Space theme with nebula's, etc. so the coolant over the memory would look nice. I'll be doing hard tubing and bending the curves to add a wormhole design and overall open feel. But back to the main question do you think the loop would be able to handle the heat?

PS. Jack Bauer is my man crush

Lol, no RGB here. UV blue or purple. I'm going for a Space theme with nebula's, etc. so the coolant over the memory would look nice. I'll be doing hard tubing and bending the curves to add a wormhole design and overall open feel. But back to the main question do you think the loop would be able to handle the heat?

PS. Jack Bauer is my man crush

If you're asking on just a single GTS240 rad, nope. It can work but your temps won't be great and your system will run very warm. Don't even think you'd be able to his those high clocks on all. It's a tight space so be considerate of the air flow you'll be getting regardless. Looking at the example build you linked, that person is using x2 rads so if you're able to do x2 GTS 240 (16FPI @ 30mm), you should be good to go. I don't know if you'll get crazy cool temps unless your intakes top and bottom will be fed by very cool ambient temps.

Remember, these small builds are more for convenience, space limiting factor and for looks. If you're looking for the best OCs, temps and a quieter rig, you'll need a bigger case. You still could make things quieter in a small case but the trade off will be higher temps.

Yeah, JB is badass in my book and always will be. lol

You only need to cool the ram if you’re going to remove the heat to a remote location (basement, outside). I didn’t cool my ram or SB when I changed my system up last month and I can feel the heat coming off of them. I’ll have to add them back into the loop so they are not competing with the a/c.
If your doing it for asthetics then go for it. No one can tell you what looks cool to you.

RAM water blocks are notorious for being restrictive. If I were going to put stuff like that in just for cool looks, I would probably go with a separate loop, so it won't interfere with my CPU cooling. A 240 rad might work for just a CPU water block in the loop, but a big no for both vid card and CPU. That's why in my earlier post I said, "The CPU and GPU is doable on a single loop, but you'll need a good radiator."

as has been said if your going to try and run max ocs on the cpu/gpu your going to need two rads. like the system you linked to or the one thats on the homepage of your case. i would go with a 60mm thick rad on top and a 25-30mm on the bottom.

RAM water blocks are notorious for being restrictive. If I were going to put stuff like that in just for cool looks, I would probably go with a separate loop, so it won't interfere with my CPU cooling. A 240 rad might work for just a CPU water block in the loop, but a big no for both vid card and CPU. That's why in my earlier post I said, "The CPU and GPU is doable on a single loop, but you'll need a good radiator."

The radiator is a very high performance one for being just a 240. I've seen similar loops of cpu and gpu with good performance so I won't change that. But I do think I'll leave out the memory now.

- - - Updated - - -

as has been said if your going to try and run max ocs on the cpu/gpu your going to need two rads. like the system you linked to or the one thats on the homepage of your case. i would go with a 60mm thick rad on top and a 25-30mm on the bottom.

Yeah I think I'll leave the memory out of the loop so I can try and push the cpu and gpu a little more.

- - - Updated - - -

You only need to cool the ram if you’re going to remove the heat to a remote location (basement, outside). I didn’t cool my ram or SB when I changed my system up last month and I can feel the heat coming off of them. I’ll have to add them back into the loop so they are not competing with the a/c.
If your doing it for asthetics then go for it. No one can tell you what looks cool to you.

Could you restate that first sentence again? For the life of me, I can't make sense of it. From your signature at least it seems like your cooling is pretty comprehensive so you won't have any issues adding the ram back in huh?

The radiator is a very high performance one for being just a 240. I've seen similar loops of cpu and gpu with good performance so I won't change that. But I do think I'll leave out the memory now.

240mm will never be enough unless its a lesser demanding system. We don't know what the temps were like all around, especially ambient temp that could make some difference or a 'golden chip' used that didn't need that much voltage being pumped. Too many variables to make a blanket statement like that. To each their own I guess.

Yeah, I agree that rad you picked out is a good one. I don't agree it can handle both CPU and GPU in the same loop if you plan to overclock. Feel free to try and prove me wrong. Yes, it can be done, but temps will most likely be higher than what I prefer.

Back