• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Six Core, slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greywalker

Upon crafting a rig (specs below) I find that the system seems a bit glitch'y, little hesitation. Sorta feels like frame lag like gaming. But a 2.8ghz x6
seems like it would make up a little more for the crappy integrated ATI
raedon 3000. Left 4 Dead runs fairly well in low settings, upper Thirties.
Team Fortress 2, about 15-20, with minimal settings. Any idea on what
I can do to help make this rig run smoothly?

It's of little consequence but this rig isn't for me, it belongs to a kid
who's upgrading from a 10 year old PC! I want to deliver something
better. Thanks!

Case:COOLER MASTER Elite 310 w/Generic 420w PSU
MotherBoard:ASUS M4A78L-M Micro ATX AM3/AM2+/AM2 w/intergrated ATI RAEDON 3000
CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W
RAM:G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
Optical Drive:LG Black 24X DVD+R SATA DVD Burner
One Addtional 80mm case fan.

P.S. Sorry all, I figure this is more software :comp: hardware but I hoped I might get lucky. Thanks!

Last edited:
TF2 isn't light on graphics. You're going to need more than the IGP if you want decent performance on anything but all minimum settings.

ok you got two porblems.
one is you gpu. i dont care how good your cpu is you need a real card in there you fps is exactly what you should be getting
problem 2 you need more ram but this is less important than problem one.
im running a amd dual core but i have a 5850 and i max all those games out with 40+fps

Try to remember games don't draw directly off of the cpu so just because you have a power house under the hood doesn't mean the game is going to feed off of it. what you're going to need is a decent card to go with it now days next gen games are a fine mix of CPU and GPU you can't really lean one way or the other and expect anything more than subpar performance.

^^^ what he said. You could run two 6-core Gulftown chips in an Sr-2 motherboard, but if you were using integrated graphics (which the Sr-2 doesn't have, thank god), then you would still have horrible frame rates. I'm honestly surprised those games are running that well!

I would be concerned about the PSU. It looks pretty marginal for that CPU. It may make your system unstable in time, give up the ghost and maybe even damage other components in the process.

Alright, makes sense. Your right, TF2 is a resource ***** too. I run a old AMD duel core 2.8ghz, 4g Cosair Extreme, evga 8800 gts o/c'd and I get around 60-70. Thanks for answering my question, I am concerned about the PSU and I wanred him it need replacing, as well as a g-card for decent performance. Regardless this is a UBER step in the right direction with a little room to grow, good CPU, board, case, and with the addition of a couple changes a decent PC could be born. But **** isn't cheap and even on sale looking at leave another $100.00.

Alright, makes sense. Your right, TF2 is a resource ***** too. I run a old AMD duel core 2.8ghz, 4g Cosair Extreme, evga 8800 gts o/c'd and I get around 60-70. Thanks for answering my question, I am concerned about the PSU and I wanred him it need replacing, as well as a g-card for decent performance. Regardless this is a UBER step in the right direction with a little room to grow, good CPU, board, case, and with the addition of a couple changes a decent PC could be born. But crap isn't cheap and even on sale looking at leave another $100.00.

Well for now aim for that PSU because it will be the biggest building block towards the final goal. For a GPU get something cheap like a 9800GT or 8800GT to hold you over till you have more money for something better.

The PSU will be updated first, afterward I'd prefer to find a dx11 card.

The PSU will be updated first, afterward I'd prefer to find a dx11 card.

DX11 is no cheap run but I've been hearing a lot and I mean a LOT of good about the 460GTX line in fact I've got a 1GB on hold as soon as they become in stock again.

I think with a moderate card and your cpu along with the psu upgrade you'll have your self a fine machine, I wish you luck and keep us all in formed if it's one thing I love seeing on here it's the end results :thup:

Yeah, actually I overlooked this thread and just noticed a reply today.
Nonetheless I came to the same conclusion in the end with a little education.

Six cores are so powerful that with a card like the 460 or even the 5850 that thing is bound to hit hard, can easily take on any game out there.

True, but this is a friends rig and he is on a frugal budget and I am his best help, for now.

Ronbert, which are you referring to that doesn't support DX11? Are you referring to the 260 or the 5770.? The way you quoted the previous post, it looks like you are saying that the 5770 doesn't support DX11 and it definitely does support it. Now if you were talking about the 260 then you are spot on.

Back