• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake 6700k or stay with 4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colt1911

Registered
Now that Intel has released the 6700k would it be time to upgrade from current system or stay where I'm at for now. I don't overclock so I'm trying to choose
the best I can without breaking the bank. All I do is play games and do some photo rendering. Thanks for any advice.

Probably not worth it.

You could probably OC your current processor to get close to or equal the performance you would gain, but even that probably won't be too noticeable.

For sure it's not worth to upgrade. You will see ( in best case ) 5% performance gain average ... in benchmarks as in everything else you won't see any difference. For your needs simply skip 1 or 2 generations as I doubt that next gen will bring more than 10% performance gain.

Not worth it from a 4770K, no way. DDR4 yields little gains in the vast majority of testing.

Back