• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Skyrim occasional frame chop at 4.8GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zebucity

Registered
Hi fellas,

To the point: I currently have Skyrim running with many mods and Project ENB installed. My GPU (listed in sig) runs at 80 -95 percent usage. While running or riding around I get the occasional screen chopping almost like lag. My computer stats are in my signature.

I don't think it is the GPU because MSI is saying that it isn't maxed out. I have the official HD textures installed as well 2k HD texture packs installed.

My question is, do you think the chop is a result of not enough voltage to the RAM, CPU, NB or FSB? the North bridge is at 2.5GHz and the FSB is at 253. LLC is at extreme. The RAM voltage has been up from rated 1.5 to 1.515 with the CAS dropped to 8 from 9.

The computer has run stable on IBT very high for an hour.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-zeb

Have you disabled core parking in windows? And does it happen in certain areas (Whiterun or such) or is it anywhere?

I am unfamiliar with core parking, so I doubt I have disabled it. It happens anywhere, mostly while moving forward or turning around.

Have you checked the frame rates. Could just be the CPU overloaded and you get a frame drop.Skyrim will only use 2 cores out of 8 and if you're playing with everything maxed out it could be that simple

I found this article on core parking for windows 8. I don't know about downloading the software if it is a viable trusted option. I will check FPS right now Johan45.

try lowering the overclock on your gpu see if that helps.

Have you checked the frame rates. Could just be the CPU overloaded and you get a frame drop.Skyrim will only use 2 cores out of 8 and if you're playing with everything maxed out it could be that simple

Could be, but parking caused stuttering for me in a few games.

It powers down unused cores in order to save power, then when there is a need it will wake them. Unfortunatly it takes each core a bit of time to come back, which will cause the loss of performance.

I know while playing skyrim i have seen up to 6 cores parked, and it will toggle 2 of the parked cores back and forth quite often. There are alot of background processes running besides the game. I would try this first.

Update: Using FRAPS the FPS stays at 60. Some times it drops to 52 instantly then right back up to 60. When it does do the drop is when I get the chop. However, the chop happens sometimes with out the FPS dropping. It is hard to explain but I will try with this example. You are sitting with a friend and they are about to sneeze, "aaaa" you think the "choo" is going to happen right after the "aaa" but they hold it off for half a second then "CHOO"!. That is how it feels. "aaa" cringe...huh?...I guess you aren't goi.."CHOO" All of this happens within 1 second.

do you have 2 monitors? Watch resorce monitor, it will tell you when a core is parked. See if the stutters occur right before one is unparked or before more activity on a core.

In Windows 8 when I hit Ctrl Shift Esc the "performance tab" only shows one chart rather than 8 separate ones. While running Skyrim the chart states I am using 18% of my CPU.

As far as I'm aware, you shouldn't have both the official HD textures and third party textures installed and active at the same time. It can cause conflicts. I stick to the third party one as it is more comprehensive than the official variant. The official version is also not compatible with a lot of other mods.

Your hardware isn't the issue here. With what you have, you should be screaming. I'd try disabling the Official textures, first. I would rule out your other mods, second. Disable them all, then enable them one at a time to see which one is causing the lag.

do you have the operating system on the ssd and the game files on the hard drive.
I had an issue like this and saw the hdd light on the case, moved the game files and it was gone.
the other issue i had was a very slight stutter and going to 2133 ram seems to have taken care of that.

do you have the operating system on the ssd and the game files on the hard drive.
I had an issue like this and saw the hdd light on the case, moved the game files and it was gone.
the other issue i had was a very slight stutter and going to 2133 ram seems to have taken care of that.

The game is loaded on my HDD and the save files are on my SSD. I don't know how to change the save location, or point them at the HDD to save. If you have information on this that would be great. I will be doing some research myself.

As well I will disable the official HD textures and see what happens.

I have pointed my save files using cmd I have also unchecked Hirez texture pack 1 2 3 from nexus. I do notice some difference, however still while riding a horse at full gallop there is chop.

Back