• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Skyrim occasional frame chop at 4.8GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What C_D was saying about the drives was if you OS is on the SSD and the Game installed on the Hdd that's where he found issues. Probably request from the OS were being slowed by the HD and the OS was waiting

what is your cpu/nb speed and voltage?
lastnight i putzed around and put in 1600 ram,a 4.0 clock, 2400cpu/nb and 7770 card and it dirtied right back up. went back to 2133 ram, 2500 cpu/nb and a 4.5 clock and it went back to smooth and nice.

CPU 4.8 @ 1.46v
NB 2.5 @ 1.2v
CPUNB @ 1.35

RAM is OCed to 1689 @1.15v with 8-9-9-27

I am interested to know if I reduce the CPU clock but that doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the voltage needs to be increase.

you could be getting errors due to clock-vcore.
try it at the same vcore but with a 4.5 clock and the cpu/nb at 2500.
and you might try a 1.3 volt on the cpu/nb.

Reduced CPU to 4.5 and put the volt to 1.3. Although better, it still has some chop. Therefore there are now two options; RAM up to 2133 or I guess move Skyrim to the SSD to remove the ssd - hdd problemo.

Reduced CPU to 4.5 and put the volt to 1.3. Although better, it still has some chop. Therefore there are now two options; RAM up to 2133 or I guess move Skyrim to the SSD to remove the ssd - hdd problemo.

Putting the game on the SSD, certainly sounds like the cheapest route to test first.

Oh before I forget to say it, I can run Cinebench GPU testing and EVERYtime it comes to one spot there is a glitch and I hear the hard drive on which Cinebench is located do a little number. SSD for O/s and bench on the HDD so I don't have to load up an SSD. I don't give a real care to a little more FPS in a bench, but in your situation it seems a bother to have the O/s and Game on differing peripherals.

If you get fully fixed by swappning game onto SSD, then you can decide if you need a bigger SSD or try the cheaper upgrade of Faster ram and test it for a fix. Ram is cheaper than a much bigger SSD. But you can move the game first since it is free and test for cure of your glitch.
RGone...

That's what my SSD is for OS and Games. Makes a noticable difference IMO

Fellas,

I spent yesterday working on this problem. Installed steam to my SSD then installed Skyrim. re-installed all the mods as well as I used Texture Pack Combiner which took a long time but WOW huge graphic improvement in the game, over 10GB of new meshes and textures.

So it is currently set up as this. SSD has Steam (1) and Skyrim and Nexus Mod Manager
HDD has Steam (2) L4D2, Bastion and the save files for Skyrim.

I noticed a huge reduction in what is now known as "the chop". With the new textures, and an AMD Catalyst profile with all max settings and an ENB maxed I would run Skyrim at 50-60 FPS with drops to 40 FPS while running out side on top of a mountain. I think the FPS drop is due to the card considering the work. Temps with the fans at 70 would hit 66C.

Hardly noticeable is "the chop" now. I think I have become overly sensitive to any little thing in the game now. Later on I will upgrade my RAM to 2133 but it is running fine as it is.

Two questions:
1) Can I increase my CPU back up to 4.8 (worth it)?
2) Is there a performance drop with save file pointed to the HDD instead of the SSD? Will using the SSD for saves reduce it's life noticeably faster? I think load times would be decreased.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge sharing.

Sure I'd put my CPU back up since that wasn't the issue. And for save files really shouldn't matter, their just markers for the game like a quick reference it's not actually loading the scenes from the HD.The only time it would be used is if you have an auto save function or you manually save it.

i see no reason to return to 4.8, i don't think there is anything much to be gained.
my rig games just fine all the way down to 3.8 but i don't play all those games.

Het C_D aren't you the one with the "bone pile" I hear mention of naow and again? Turning it down just seems out of character.

I had what I'd describe as dropping frames playing Skyrim on my current OC.
I found the issue was my HT and NB Freq was too high. I think I had them both @ 2600, once I backed them down to 2400, it stopped "stuttering"

yea that's me with the bone pile.

that looks like a good choice of 2133 ram.

I have found as others have also that 2500 cpu/nb and ht link works well.

please go to advanced and mark this thread as "solved"

I found this interesting guide for Skyrim tweaks. There is a section that mods the Skyrim.ini and Skyrimprefs.ini files informing the game of multi-cores. Take it or leave it, I will try it out and see if there is any difference with the threads.

Back