• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI reduced Chip from 2.6 to 2.1 gigs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jri

I installed a second nvidea 8500gt in my P5N-E SLI board that has an Intel Dual Core 2.6 gig. The second card installed and is recognized in Sandra but I lost power in my CPU. It went from the 2.6 to 2.1.

I think it might be a power problem. I only have a 420 watt power supply. I checked and the bare min for my componets is 400watts. Could that have reduced the performence of my CPU?

Thanks

Could you be mistaking this for speedstep/C1E powersaving features kicking in? (Check the multiplier of the CPU at that point in time).

Yep. It's probably the power saving feature kicking in.

Run an intensive program like prime95 and you'll see the multiplier go back up to whatever it was.

Thanks a million that was it. I even got a 5% overclock to 2.8

any reason why you bought the second card, you could of sold your first one, save da bit more and gotten a single card that would of performed ALOT better then those 2 in SLI.

any reason why you bought the second card, you could of sold your first one, save da bit more and gotten a single card that would of performed ALOT better then those 2 in SLI.

Best Buy says the 8500GT is a top-of-the-line current-gen card! :p When they had that 4870/4850 $250/$150 sale going on a month back, they were out of the 4870s. When I asked one of the sales guys if they were going to be getting any more 4870s in, he suggested I get the 8500GT instead... :bang head:bang head

If the OP shops at Best Buy and hasn't obtained real information from elsewhere, I pity him.

Best Buy says the 8500GT is a top-of-the-line current-gen card! :p When they had that 4870/4850 $250/$150 sale going on a month back, they were out of the 4870s. When I asked one of the sales guys if they were going to be getting any more 4870s in, he suggested I get the 8500GT instead... :bang head:bang head

Good example of Best Buy's awesome customer support. (sar)

@ OP: Your PSU is a bit low for SLI or a single decent card. Especially if it's not a good quality PSU (most stock PSU's which come with pre-built PC's/Cases are crap). Best to be safe and upgrade to a good quality 450w or 550w.

Last edited:
Back