• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading from 2 way sli to 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

I have 2 gtx 670s in SLI, and they max out just about every game at 60fps at 1920x1080. But I plan on getting a new monitor soon. 144hz refresh compared to my now 60hz. Would adding a 3rd gtx 670 benefit me? Or do you think overclocking my 2 current ones would be enough?

Cpu is fx 9370@ 4.9ghz and all on a cooler master v1000 power supply,
Also everything is liquid cooled so temps arent a problem

If all your games are maxing out at 60 FPS, sounds like you might have V-Synch enabled in the game settings.

Yea I do. Not use making the carda work harder than they should. Idid some looking. Appears that 2-3 way sli varies by game.

Adding another card won't change that if you keep V-SYNC enabled. I twon't hurt your current cards to turn it off, especially since you liquid cooled. Give it a try!

Yeah for both camps a second card is supported in most games, a third card is supported in some games, and a 4th card isn't usually supported well. So you really have to look on a game by game basis.

If you get 3rd card and the 144hz monitor, and keep vsync enabled the fps will lock at 144 if at all possible. However when the system can't reach 144 it will drop to I think 120, then 60hz and back up of it can.

You may want to check out monitor that supports nvidias G-sync. I think you may get a better experience out of that from what I've heard on podcast and read on the web.

Gsync is really just the opposite of vsync isnt it? In the sense that it just lowers the refresh rate of the monitor to match what the cards can do?

And yea I dont know... im one the femce about a 3rd card... might just overclock the living hell out of these 2, and run them into the ground. Them buy 2 top shelf cards when upgrade time comes. (Think 2x gtx 780's or 2x r9 290x.)

Might just turn vsync off and see what fps my cards can give me.

Do any of you have a 3 way setup?

If you get 3rd card and the 144hz monitor, and keep vsync enabled the fps will lock at 144 if at all possible. However when the system can't reach 144 it will drop to I think 120, then 60hz and back up of it can.
There is also NVIDIA's Adaptive Vsync which essentially sets a ceiling and gives it a more graceful drop, smoothing things out more than that 'step' you describe with normal vsync.

Adaptive Vsync

G-Sync

Like was mentioned, if you get 3 cards, its only useful if you get a 120/144Hz monitor. On your current, 60 FPS is 60 FPS.

Back