• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from i5 3570K..worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expert87

Hi....

I've got some "cash" that I'm looking to spend on some upgrade...however...I don't want it to go to waste...specs are in the sig.

please keep in mind that I'm looking for more fps only.(gaming resolution would be 1920x1080 or higher)
I'm looking for the absolute best replacement in the market for what I'm going to upgrade..
I've got the following alternatives in mind:

1- Is it worth it to jump to an i7 (77watts) e.g. the i7 3770k? "I love the look of the multi cpus in the task manager :D "

2-Is it better to upgrade the liquid cooling system for more overclocking? say the following (http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=36040) "I think this one is overpriced...I would like some alternative cooling systems suggestions"

3- or just add another gtx 680/purchase a new single titan instead? (please note the gfx I have is 4gb)

Of course, any other suggestions are welcomed.

some out of this topic questions:
1- Intel doesn't have 3rd generation extreme edition from the i7 series?
2- when is intel going to dump the 1155 socket?
3- say I go for a 2nd generation i7 extreme processor... would the switch from PCIe3 to PCIe 2 affect the outcome?

1) it's coming, on lga2011. Ib-e.

2) nowish, 1150 is where all new desktop / normal user / gamer cpus will be.

3) no, but it'd be a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.

Imo there is no reason to upgrade from a 3570k right now if you are not doing rendering of something like that.

A second 680 4gig would be my vote.
I7 for gaming gets you noting.
Custom WC would be nice but it will not net you FPS.
Dropping back generations? IMO that is always a bad idea.

CPU upgrade is probably pointless. GPU upgrade would get you more FPS, but if you're running a single screen, you won't be able to tell the difference. Maybe look at a mouse/keyboard/sound/monitor upgrade? 3570K to 3770K for gaming probably be wouldn't be worth it either.

To the other questions:

The extreme editions aren't anything different from the normal CPUs, just branding (aka, the 3960X and 3970X are nearly the same CPU as the 3930K). See the comparison here: http://ark.intel.com/compare/63697,63696. 100MHz and 3MB of cache is it.

3rd generation hexacores should be out on LGA2011 later this year.

Intel's dumping the 1155 socket in two weeks. :p

PCIe 2.0 to 3.0, no major difference. I wouldn't recommend switching the CPUs though, they're not going to perform very different in most games.

You don't need an Intel i7 3770k, the new Haswell is come out by the end of June, should offer 10 to 15% performance increase over Ivy bridge( although i'm not very sure, you will have to wait and see)

At for GPU, add another GTX 680 will improve your gaming experience, more fps....

For your other question, Intel third generation extreme CPU will come out in September (have been confirm by many tech site)

Nice and fast guys...as always :D

Ok I understand that gpu upgrade is better....2x680GTX or 1xTitan ?

What about water cooling? is the H100i enough? I mean..
1.I was imagining that a better water cooling would yield a better ocing ==> better fps somehow. or am I wrong?
2.another thing...I was checking some websites that offer special mods for wc systems (liquids, pumps...etc.) anything that I can change in the H100i to get better results?

Nice and fast guys...as always :D

Ok I understand that gpu upgrade is better....2x680GTX or 1xTitan ?

What about water cooling? is the H100i enough? I mean...I was imagining that a better water cooling would yield a better ocing ==> better fps somehow. or am I wrong?

Wait a couple of days and see what happens when the 7XX series drops from nVidia. At the very least, you may find a good deal on a used 680 because of it.

You may get a higher overclock with a custom loop, but it is an entirely different animal. If you are considering a custom WC, head over to the WC section and spend a week or so reading stickies.

Changing the H100i would defeat it's main benefit...it's a sealed unit, no maintence, no leaks. Custom water loops outperform significantly.

A custom loop may be worth it for you. You can cool as much as you want and as quiet as you want (by adding more and more radiators), and most people agree it looks better than air cooling. However, it requires a good bit of research and math to do it right, is quite expensive (a few hundred for a good CPU + GPU loop) and requires a solid few hours of maintenance every 6-12 months to tear it down, flush and clean everything and put it back together.

You'll get better OCing results depending on how good of an overclocker your chip is. Some chips just don't like going past 4.5GHz. Others will easily go farther.

would the custom WC help increase FPS/gfx performance?

and what about my question (2x680GTX OR Titan)
Not really, no.

I think we alluded to the answer... how many monitors do you have? If only one, then I dont think anyone would bother upgrading the GPU. There honestly isnt a point to upgrade your rig IMO.

Back