• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Processor maybe running too hot... Not sure which temp to look at

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

awesomejlee

Registered
So today I built my first new pc in years... And it seems like it could be running hot. I know the limit for this processor is 61 celcius. The first question i have to ask, is how do I measure the temperature correctly? Im using hwmonitor and also coretemp. on hwmonitor, which temp is the one i need to worry about? the CPU section under temperatures? That's the one that gets really high really easily. installing programs, almost anything takes it from 40 at idle to 50s. Gaming takes it to 61 and that's when i quit the game. There are also package temps, which are lower. In coretemp the cpu reading is around 15 at idle. which program is giving me the correct temp? This thing isnt overclocked, has 3 case fans, and honestly doesnt seem very hot. I can put my hand right above the CPU fan and barely feel heat. But I don't want to ruin this thing. I'm planning on a water cooler next month as I get more money, but I don't want to fry this thing playing games in the mean time. Heres my specs:

FX 8350
ASUS M5A99FX PRO 2.0
Sapphire R9 270X Vapor X
8 Gigs ripjaws ram
64 Gig SSD (getting a second, larger one soon)
630W Power supply
NZXT Guardian case

So which program/reading should I use?

Figured it out... This mobo was overvolting the CPU. Set it to stay at 1.375 and max temps during gaming are now 55C

Welcome to the forum awesomejlee...

...It is "now" understood that AMD cpu temps while not under a load are mostly useless. About the only time an idle and not loaded temp on AMD FX processor would be of any value is if HWMonitor Free version should show and idle temp of 45 or 50c which would indicate a p00r contact between top of cpu and the cooler when looking at the Package/Core temp in HWMonitor Free version for FX processors.

You notice I mentioned HWMonitor Free about twice already and that is because that is what we use in trying to help users in these AMD cpu and mobo sections. What you use 'after' you get your help is up to you but we try and stay on the same page while trying to help. Thank you.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

We have people that cannot see and thus help when images are 'linked' and not attached direct to the forum. And FYI thing.

RGone...

EDIT:
If you feel you are ready to rock and roll and got it covered...then please go back into your first post of this thread and before the current title > add [RESOLVED] that way others will not be concerned and also looking with forum search others can search [RESOLVED] for your type thread and get to answers far easier.

Again thanks.
END EDIT.

I will make all the changes you suggest, and get back to you tomorrow. Just fyi, i'm not trying to overclock this thing yet until i get a better cooler... i'm just concerned that even stock its having temp problems like this. Like i said though, ill set everything as you suggested and see what we get. I will tell you that the corevolt ran from .8 or so at idle to 1.5 and higher at load. I mean it was jumping up at the first sign of any work, and thats when the temps would rocket. I read somewhere that this mobo in particular has problems overvolting the cpu if left on auto, so i set it at 1.375 as was suggested on that site and the temp problems are better, but not where I'd like them still. But, its late, and tomorrow ill fight with this thing some more and post the screens you requested. And thanks for the help, much appreciated :p

Ok, well I set everything as you said. Here are the Idle screens:
CPUIDLE.png HWMONITORIDLE.png MEMORYIDLE.png SPD1IDLE.png SPD2IDLE.png

And here is the HWMonitor after about a minute of stress test on P95. I ended it there when the temps hit 61 C.
HWLOAD.png

Also, it was climbing be about 1 degree C every 2 or 3 seconds. Ideas? Also, it's the stock cooler for the fx 8350, with the thermal paste that came on the cooler. I have a tube of arctic silver 5 here if I need it to reseat the cooler or something. On a side note, with all the options at default except for the CPU Voltage set at 1.375, it won't go over 56C during gaming. Not sure about P95 like that, but disabling all that power saving stuff sure made it pump out the heat. If you recommend I reseat the cooler, how do I go about removing the old paste? Never had to remove one once i put it on...

I would definitely reseat the cooler with some to Paste after cleaning off all of the stuff that came on it. You can just clean off the past with a fine, lint free cloth.

First question that matters ..... what cooler are you using on your CPU? How many case fans and how are they arranged in your case. Your temps are high which means we need to deal with your cooling a bit first.

Very few people really understand the type of heat these FX8 core CPU generate till they get one and try and Overclock it.

Looks like a combination of problems, stock cooler to start which is barly capable of running the thing at stock with power savings on. Second is the case NZXT Guardian 921 this is from newegg
Silent Cooling: Comes standard with three 120mm fans installed to maximize cooling performance with minimal noise
One in front, back and side door. None of which likely move a whole lot of air.
Your first order of business should be to get a better CPU cooler fo it. then some good 120 fans

Thanks Johan I didn't have time to look up the case this am..... more freakin snow today.

For a little more make clear...

...try and make clear what are where you are with temps. IF you intend absolutely NO overclock. No jerking around with the multpliers and such, then you might proceed as below and if you get the two hours of P95 Blend without error, you might consider yourself okay but remember >> NO overclocking or messing with multipliers or TurboCore as that can change the whole scenario. Yes you can adjust that Vcore lower as you did but to begin to jockey with too many other settings can move you to a place not spec'd for that AMD cpu and then you like US overclockers will need MORE cooling and more and better case airflow most likely.

RGone...

1cpuid.jpeg

awesomejlee, realize that it is normal for voltages to jump around hugely as long as Cool N Quiet and other power saving modalities such as C1E, C6 and APM are not disabled in bios. We often disable them when overclocking as they tend to be counterproductive to overclocking, at least in the higher ranges.

So the package temperature is being recorded from on the die correct? Is the other temperature the cpu socket? What is the best way to keep that cool? Having a fan blow on the motherboard?

@ Hardin...

...these two images illustrate how many of us deal with the socket AND the VRM temps which can influence socket temps greatly.

RGone...

2x50mm fans velcroed to VRMs and this will also affect socket temps greatly.
attachment.php

This fan is attached to rear of the mobo strictly to lower socket temps and I use a 92mm fan on front of mobo blowing down on the VRMs when running water cooling since the overflow air from air cooled cpu cooler is missing with watercooling.
attachment.php

Back