• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

OK system is posted below, I am going to be getting a HAF 932 case next week and will be getting a better CPU cooler (not sure which one yet) anyway I already have a 9800GTX+ by XFX and I am replacing my sons Zotac 9800GTX+ AMP next week with a GTX460. This will give me the extra 9800GTX+.

Right now I don't really game but will probably pick it back up and was wondering if the heat load of the extra 9800GTX+ is worth it, the case has some really good reviews about being able to handle heat but I have never SLI'd a system before and just trying to figure out if it is worth it :)D and no I cannot afford to upgrade my video card at the same time). The power supply is a 750watt Cooler Master and the PSU calculator that I have used say it is enough to handle my system but I have no actual experience to back it up. Sorry cut and paste was easier.

Brand COOLER MASTER
Model RS750-ACAAE3-US
Series GX Series
Spec
Type ATX12V v2.31
Maximum Power 750W
Fans 1 x 120mm
PFC Active
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails Single
PCI-Express Connector 4 x 6+2-Pin
SATA Power Connector 9
SLI Ready
Power Good Signal 100-500ms
Hold-up Time 17ms min.
Efficiency 85% typical
Energy-Efficient 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Over Voltage Protection Yes
Input Voltage 110 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
Input Current 10A @ 115V, 6A @ 230V
Output +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@60A, [email protected], [email protected]

In your situation, since you already have the card, definately worth it. The 750w should be fine for those GPUs and for a roughly 70-90% performance gain in most games, there is not much to lose. Update drivers, throw in the new card, add a SLI bridge and activate.

Yeah the 9800 series scaled pretty well. In most games you will see about %80 improvement over using a single card. The scaling got even better with the 200 and 400 series as they scale almost %100 going from 1 card to 2. The higher the resolution you run the bigger the improvement you will see as well.

For both gaming and Folding@Home (if you're into that) adding another GPU, especially in this case, is worth it.

+ 1 for sli, also to get the most out of those cards a nice overclock to about 3.4gHz is recommended.

OH wow guess I better think before I post, haven't had this board long and wasn't thinking its amd chipset not nvidia. Well at least I had not tried to SLI it.

OH wow guess I better think before I post, haven't had this board long and wasn't thinking its amd chipset not nvidia. Well at least I had not tried to SLI it.

There is another option...hacked drivers. I've never done it, but I here it's not too difficult. :shrug:

Back