• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow 4.0GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cashboxer

Registered
You can read in my sig what I have in my system and I thought I was running pretty fast. I just built another system around a older E6400 chip that I took out of a wore out Dell. When I got it up and running, it does everything TWICE as fast as mine. He has a newer hard drive and 4 gigs of ram. I guess those 2 things put together makes a big difference. This is what I put in his system:

Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower

ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

Antec PSU 500W

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

His ASUS board is SO MUCH easier to understand the bios!!!!

Your system should be plenty fast. My guess is some other outside factor is to blame. How recent was the install of Windows? (I assume?) Vista/XP ? Installed programs? Drivers?

btw, <3 Asus :D

If Im not mistaken, that hard drive is a single platter unit... which gave it a significant boost in speed compared to its older competitors. Also... I noticed a decent bump in speed and overall smoothness when I moved to 4 gigs of ram.

Its not a surprise you saw a such a significant boost in speed... in todays machines the Hard drive is the biggest bottleneck.

also something to think about
at one point I had my computer overclocked to a marginally stable state and it behaved more slowly/strangely than it would with moderately less OC. might be worth extensively double checking the current stability of the system.

You can read in my sig what I have in my system and I thought I was running pretty fast. I just built another system around a older E6400 chip that I took out of a wore out Dell. When I got it up and running, it does everything TWICE as fast as mine. He has a newer hard drive and 4 gigs of ram. I guess those 2 things put together makes a big difference.

Yup. A lot of people seem to think that the CPU is what matters most for a "fast" system. The reality is that, unless you are performing tasks that are CPU-bound (such as video transcoding), making your CPU faster is going to have very little or no influence on your overall system speed.

The whole computer is like a chain. You can't make a chain stronger by reinforcing just one of the links.

ya the harddrive will make things appear to open faster, but for anything cpu intensive yours will beat the other easily.

Back