• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slow boot times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

First of all, yes I know I dont have a ssd, that is not my problem, build is in sig, this is a new build less then 3 days old.
My previous build I could boot into windows seriously under 2mins.

This new build is taking almost 5 mins to boot. Any ideas I already enabled fast foot in bios settings but it literally didn't help one bit.

Less than 3 days old and you overclocked it with a ridiculous boot time? Try putting your OS in your sig. Maybe it's your fans fighting. kidding

Did you do a clean install with windows also have you used HDD diagnostic utility software? Boot time with a HDD should only take about 50 seconds from the start of pressing the power button.

I oc this out the box bruh!!!!

Im using windows 10 pro, I used windows 10 on my previous 8350 m5a99x mobo and i had like literally 30 second boot time

Have you tried disconnecting everything other than keyboard and mouse. I would even disconnect usb headers coming from the case.

Also your sig says you you have an asus extreme 4. I cannot find the specs on this board. Do you mean the asrock extreme 4.

whoops my last board was a asus and i just saw left it here I guess. yes its a asrock, and sure I can unplug everything and get a faster boot "maybe" but then plug it back in once its boot which is a burden. With everything plugged in on my last build, i had fine boot times. I feel like this is longer then usual, way longer for that matter. I googled my board and put long boot time but couldn't really find anything....

appreciate the helps fellas like always...

whoops my last board was a asus and i just saw left it here I guess. yes its a asrock, and sure I can unplug everything and get a faster boot "maybe" but then plug it back in once its boot which is a burden. With everything plugged in on my last build, i had fine boot times. I feel like this is longer then usual, way longer for that matter. I googled my board and put long boot time but couldn't really find anything....

appreciate the helps fellas like always...

You may want to try unhooking everything and trying to see if it helps. If it is better than it will point to a problem with one of the periphials, a usb controller, or a driver issue.

If the problem persists then it will point towards an issue elsewhere like a borked OS, problematic sata controller, or failing hdd.

Problem solving 101-remove variables to narrow down possible root causes:)

It's probably running the drives in IDE mode. Did you download and install the SCSI drivers for the motherboard?

Both take quite a bit but its mostly the os, it will just show the mobo asrock with the config to get into bios for a long time, then right when windows is loading it takes awhile again. I am gonna record a video and post it.

Cant be my HDD, like i said my previous build booted just fine. Everything was the same, Only thing's that got changed out was cpu,mobo,ram,gpu. The second I booted it, it took forever, so long actually I turned my psu off thinking it wasn't gonna boot, then when i saw everything was plugged in right i booted it back up and it took what seemed like 5 mins.

Then my old parts I made another pc out of them for a buddy, and that thing boots up like a machine, and here i am with a high quality pc that boots up slower then a grandpa on take off at a red light.

- - - Updated - - -

no, I am not sure what IDE MODE is, ill have to google it. After my first boot, i put in the mobo disk install that, got into windows and did my audio/video drivers and callled it a day.

Did you do a clean install with windows also have you used HDD diagnostic utility software? Boot time with a HDD should only take about 50 seconds from the start of pressing the power button.

OP never answered this question.

yzfspecvr6, did you just move the hard drive from the old build in place or did you actually use a brand knew hard drive do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new build?

IDE technology used a parallel interface and predated SATA technology. It was replaced by SATA maybe 10-12 years ago. But it still shows up in bios. Most modern motherboards are set in bios to SATA mode by default but it's worth checking.

Did you check in Device Manager to see if there are any flags showing?

I would also check the ASRock web site for newer chipset drivers.

And if nothing else works, I would reinstall Windows 10. Make sure all the current Windows 10 drivers are in place and then install the latest chipset drivers from ASRock. Windows 10 is famous by now for kicking out perfectly good drivers and replacing them with bad ones.

So you formatted the old HDD and put a fresh W10 on it. Gotcha.
Did you install in AHCI mode? If not: http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...-ahci-mode-after-windows-10-installation.html
Does it do this at stock speed as well?

As was mentioned earlier, make sure you have the latest chipset drivers and Management Engine drivers installed (from ASROCK website).

As far as the unpluging hardware/USB thing, clearly you will still have the problem when you plug it back in. The point is to find out WHAT is at fault. If it changes with out USB devices plugged in, we know it either a driver issue there (did you install your USB drivers?) or hardware not playing nice. I have had this happen on some systems with USB sticks plugged in... may not be your issue, but had it happen before. :)

Would like to see that boot vid though to see where exactly its getting hung up a bit more clearly. :)

Im not sure what drivers to install there isnt a 1 package for all lol?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99M Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064
Mercy.. one of those... :p

My man, don't install everything... only install what you NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much crap installed off drivers disks and such can cause this!

You will install:

Chipset(INF), ME, NIC(Lan), Audio(Realtek). I'd install all USB drivers if you are using many of the ports/front panel etc...

Last edited:
ok drivers update, i checked bios I am AHCI mode, its very slow going into windows, its decent showing the ufei asus screen, then the windows logo is forever in a half.

If it is used hard drive I would certainly check the smart drive data with Crystaldiskinfo.

I would also run: the sfc /scannow from a command prompt with admin privileges and then run chkdsk /f /r (also with admin privileges) from command prompt. The latter command can take several hours to complete and seems to get stuck on 10-11% forever but its not stuck.

no 2 internal hdd

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you guys for trying to help me, but its not the hard drive. This same HDD was in my previous build, swap out new build and bam slow window boot. Its def not the HDD, the HDD is not that old either. Its def something going on with drivers/sata or somthing within windows. Like i changed my bios to fast boot, and changed in windows to fast boot as well, but it didn't speed it up at all.

Should i swap around the sata ports maybe? would that make a difference?

There are several questions again left unanswered....but you can try swapping ports. Should be in ports 0-1 (native to the chipset).

I'd start over with a fresh install again. Noting boot times after each thing you install or plug in.

Pretty sure ive answered every question, not my webcam isnt working, it was working before I updated all the drivers via asrock website.

I dont think my hdd is in 0-1 How do i know what port that is on my mobo? I remember in bios it didnt say 0-1.

nvm i found it now ima check my port inside the case.

Last edited:
Back