• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow POST - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishikaro

Registered
I have read about people achieving great boot speeds with SSD's but unfortunately in my case, I believe my MOBO is holding me back.

I was wondering if anyone has advice to speed up the POST process. It currently takes me around 25 seconds from power button to the windows initial splash screen.

On a side not, windows splash screen to desktop is another 20 seconds... Can this time be decreased?

I have spent too much money on this setup (sig) for it to not boot fast!!

Part of it is the revo intializing its ROM, do you have quickboot turned on? go into MSCONFIG and prevent unneeded things from starting up.

I could not find a quickboot option and msconfig is fully optimized

I had a similar problem with boot hang on my z68a-gd80 and found it was the usb wireless n that i use in the shop when i config the systems. Removed it and the driver and all is well. No issues at all with the dual gigabit teamed on hard lines.

It drove me nuts. If I shut the system down and powered the psu off and back on, it would boot normal.

I have read about people achieving great boot speeds with SSD's but unfortunately in my case, I believe my MOBO is holding me back.

I was wondering if anyone has advice to speed up the POST process. It currently takes me around 25 seconds from power button to the windows initial splash screen.

On a side not, windows splash screen to desktop is another 20 seconds... Can this time be decreased?

I have spent too much money on this setup (sig) for it to not boot fast!!

Did you get any resolution to this?
I just put together an i7 2600k build with a Crucial M4 128GB SSD using this board.
Total boot time is around 45 seconds. 30 or seconds of that is getting to the Windows 7 splash screen.

I just did a reinstall of Win 7 Pro. I was also getting hung up on the splash screen where it is now taking 60 seconds or more to load windows after POST.

After the reinstall the POST time is much quicker, to about 12-15 seconds (although not sure why that would make any difference...)

Still can't figure out why Win 7 is stalling for so long while "loading windows".

what bios revision are you using? Takes me about 10-15s from power on to windows splash screen...

what bios revision are you using? Takes me about 10-15s from power on to windows splash screen...

Yep have to agree. This particular board boots hella fast compared to most of the P67 products.

Usually the delay is due to having all of the options enabled. Try disabling devices you dont use (Marvel controller/1394/splash screen/audio etc).

If you guys could tell me your BIOS revision, I will try to emulate your settings. I have everything turned off that I can. Some settings are beyond me like SATA vs IDE vs AHCPI or something like that so I don't know what to do there. Plus the revodrive is raided so it adds some time to load the raid controller.

Right now I have whatever BIOS came preinstalled but havent checked which version yet...

After several updates of various drivers, etc, the POST speed seems much faster.

There is an update for the BIOS now, 7681v1E.. but since I am not fully confident in how to actually update the BIOS that is one thing I have left to do.

Advise on the proper procedure appreciated.

I also just hooked up a speaker that I stole from one of my super old machines and on startup I get more than just 1 POST beep. I get one long and 3 short fast beeps in a row. Any clue as to what this is?
During bootup I unplugged and plugged in one of my USB devices and each time it made a beep... could that be related?

Last edited:
"cez81", you got AMI or Award/Phoenix on that board. The beep code is different depending on whose bios is on the board.
Generally:
AMI bios 1 long 3 short is ram problem.

Award bios 1 long 3 short is video problem.

Make sure Internal PLL Overvoltage = Auto, having it enabled gives you 5s extra delay. Also, if your not using Marvel Sata, disable it.

exactly what part of the boot process does it seem to take the longest? are you talking like while it is showing the POST screen? during other device initialization? i noticed significant speed increase in the POST process if i reduce the hard drive detection timeout to 0. if i'm not paying close attention, i miss the POST screen all together to get into the BIOS setup.

i have a similar issue
when push power button and computer start there was a counting onthe down right corner when it change to A4 cmos screen appear and after that in 5sec i log on os
but that counting screen takes 5-8 seconds

how can i skip it is there any fast or quick boot option in bios ?

i have latest bios update done v4.3

Just having a RAID array increases boot time by a good 5-8 seconds. There's no way around that.

But the splash screen to desktop should be nowhere near 20 seconds. First step is to disable Aero if you haven't already, that should take care of ~3-5 seconds of it.

Back