• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slow raid 0 on p4c800 e deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sramjones

Disabled
I have a asus p4c 800 e deluxe i have it all set up running 3.3 ghz stable from a 2.4c.

My question is. I set up a raid 0 array. I used 2 40 gig wester digital drives. they are 4200 or 5400 rpm drives i dont know. Now i thoght that raid 0 was supposed to inceses performance. The overall feel of the computer is slower. Is this correct or did i do something wrong. Also on the cd there is a applications accelerator should i install that

First, r ur drives? identical? Second, yes, u need to install that raid app accelerator from the cd or you can get an newer version/update at asus website.

P4C800 e deluxe have two types of RAID controllers, 1. Intels own controller which is as far as I know a serial ATA only controller. 2. By an additional promise RAID conroller which supports to both serial and parallel ATA drives.

Since your drives are not serial ATA I suppose you are using promise controller for RAID. There is an important difference between these two controllers. Intel's is located in the south-bridge and does not utilise PCI bus. It is actually north of PCI. Promise controller is however uses PCI bus for data transfer which means that you have to share PCI bus with all other PCI hardware. If your PCI is too crowded -if most of your PCI slots are occupied e.g. by PCI sound card etc.- then you may observe performance decrease by using RAID.

I may be wrong but that is what came to my mind.

yes you do actually most every other component connects to the pci bus, like your onboard sound, the promise controller, ect although the lan on this board has its own bus so probably the best option for you is to buy a set of SATA/PATA converters and attach your drives to the intel raid chip on the southbridge and that should allow you to use the IIA sofware and free up the PCI bus.

Back